Series Manager: David C. (aka Butch)
Period: Q2 – April – June (2 rounds per month)
NOTE: Tire allowances updated March 24, 2023
1970 saw the introduction of new rules that created the new Group 2 category. This was the first golden era for touring car racing with the Ford Capris and Escorts racing against the likes of BMW and Alfa Romeo. The racing was exciting with side-by-side wheel lifting action at every turn and championships being won by the slightest of margins.
The rules required 1000 cars to be produced but these could be modified quite freely. At the beginning of the championship, there were three divisions: 0-1000cc, 1001-1600cc, and over 1600cc. The smallest division was dropped in 1973 under heavy pressure from BMW and Ford.
Ford choose to enter a massive works team in 1970 that struggled at first but took a stranglehold on the series from 1971 until mid-1972. This is when their famous team director Jochen Neerpasch moved to BMW where his clever homologation tricks brought BMW to the front and they never looked back. Alfa Romeo was in the fight the whole time with both the 1300 GTA Junior and the 2000 GTAm. Unfortunately, their team direction and management were not as strong as Ford’s or BMW’s.
Unfortunately, the fuel crisis of 1973 all but ended the Championship as cars were not allowed to run on Sundays in Germany – including race cars. As a result, the works entries became sparse and the championship was left to privateers with very expensive cars.
The Austin Slot Car Club will be recreating this great series but doing it on the club’s rally track where there is only one car on the track at a time. Even though there won’t be any fender rubbing in the turns there is sure to be some great racing and drama for this new series.
Join the discussion for RevoSlot Group 2 Rally in our forums.
Race Fees: $5 Premium members, $10 Standard members; $15 guests
This series is meant to be a driver’s series with the cars being run in stock configurations with very limited modifications being allowed. The series will be run on the club’s rally track. All cars will run 40 laps and the racer with the lowest time for the 40 laps wins.
- Any of RevoSlot’s Group 2 models.
- Racers must select a livery prior to the series.
- No more than two of the same liveries are allowed, if possible.
- No modifications to the body are allowed.
- The stock Lexan cockpit and the windows may be Shoegoo’ed in place to keep them secure.
- Body must start every race with all major body parts intact
- Antennas, mirrors, wipers, tow hooks, and other small, protruding parts from the body are not required.
- If a white body kit is used, the exterior of the body must be painted with at least one coat of paint.
- If a white body kit is used, the body must have numbers displayed on both sides and the top of the car.
- The rubber body bumpers must be used. These can be Shoegoo’ed in place.
- Body screws can be either the stock screws or the brass replacement screws (RS-213b). They can be taped over to prevent loss during the race. The tape may not control body or pod movement.
- No modifications to the chassis are allowed.
- Sanding the chassis in any way is not allowed.
- Modifications to the chassis float are not allowed.
- All chassis screws must be stock and be in place at the start of every race.
- Front and rear axle holders cannot be modified in any way.
- Front and rear bearings must be stock. The use of ceramic bearings is not allowed.
- The guide flag is open. Be sure your guide is shortened so it can drive through the tighter turns without getting stuck.
- Pick-up braids are free choice.
- Traction magnets are not allowed.
- Ballast is allowed.
- Ballast must be inside the chassis and should not be visible.
- Lead wires must be the stock RevoSlot wires. These wires can be hot glued to the chassis to avoid contact with the front axle.
- Only the stock RevoSlot motor is allowed.
- Modifications to the motor are not allowed.
- Only the stock RevoSlot motor pod is allowed.
- Sanding the motor pod in any way is not allowed
- Modifications to the motor pod float is not allowed.
- Modifications to the motor holder are not allowed.
- All motor pod screws must be stock and in place at the start of every race.
- Only the RevoSlot spur gear and pinions are allowed.
- Gear ratio is open.
- Modifications to spur gear and pinion are not allowed.
- The stock grub screw on the spur gear must be used.
- Only the stock RevoSlot wheels are allowed.
- Only the stock wheel inserts are allowed.
- Modifications to the wheels in any way are not allowed.
- The stock grub screw on the wheels must be used.
- Only the stock axles are allowed.
- Modifications to the axles in any way is not allowed.
- Axle spacers are open choice.
- Tires can be either the stock RevoSlot tires or Paul Gage Urethane 20 or 40 shore tires.
- Tires may be trued and have their edges rounded.
- Tires may be glued to the wheels.
- No traction compounds are allowed.
- Front tires must remain stock and are not allowed to be polished or hardened in any way.
- The track power is adjustable for this series.
- If it is not mentioned it is not legal.
- These rules were written to create a fair event and not for racers to look for loopholes.
- Any deviation to these rules must be run by the series manager before any race.
RevoSlot Group 2 Series Rules – Revised 20230324