Series Manager: Russell.
This series will be raced in the third quarter of 2017 (Q3).
The years of 1976-82 were host to the 4th Generation Group 5 Series. The period rules dictated that the lines of a production car needed to be maintained above the wheel arches, mostly everything else was unrestricted. These turbocharged Monsters with 500+ HP under the hood and no traction control or fancy driving aids demanded every last bit of skill of those who dared tame them.
**** Provisional rule-set *****
Entrance fee per race is $5 for ASCC members and $10 for non-members.
- Porsche 935 (includes the 935-77, 935-78 known as the Moby-Dick and the customer Kremer K3 and K4 and the JLP variation)
- BMW 320i Turbo
- Toyota Celica LB Turbo (RA22) (1st generation)
- Dome Celica Turbo (RA45) (2nd generation)
- TOM’S Corolla G5 (A40)
- Nissan Skyline RS Silhouette Formula
- Nissan Nichira Impul Silvia (two nose variations)
- Mazda RX-7 252i
- Mazda RX-7 253/253i/253SR
- Mazda RX-7 254/254i
- Nissan Bluebird SSS Turbo
- BMW 3.0 CSL
- BMW M1
- Lancia Stratos Turbo
- Lancia Beta Montecarlo Turbo
- Ferrari 512BB LM
- Zakspeed Ford Capri Turbo
- Ford Escort Zakspeed
- Zakspeed Lotus Europa Gr.5
- Greenwood Widebody Corvette
- Only coupes are allowed. Maximum width is 2.60″ (66mm)
- Any Injection molded or resin body from the approved list that faithfully represents 1/32 scale.
- Vacuum formed or blow molded bodies are not allowed.
- Clear window material must be used where the real car has clear material.
- Racing numbers must be visible in three places on body. Racing numbers must match. Bodies may be painted in fantasy or realistic liveries. Non-decorated cars (for example plain white kits) are not allowed.
- Headlights and tail lights are required, but are not required to actually illuminate.
- Helmeted 3D driver figure, with representation of at least head, shoulders, and arms.
- Driver shall be positioned somewhere near where he would be in real life (ie-in proper seating area and able to “see” out the windshield).
- Interior, with representation of at least dashboard top and rear shelf, as appropriate to actual car (Lightweight materials may be used).
- Interior must be so that one cannot see drive-train (motor, gears, axle, driveshaft-etc) when looking in through windows.
- Must have full windshield and full rear window. Must also have any rear passenger windows in place. Windows may be vacuum formed.Only the windows in the doors, both sides, may be removed.
- Original or universal chassis, made of plastic, are allowed (e.g. HRS/ HRS2).
- Chassis may be braced, reinforced or strengthened.
- Body screws should be taped to prevent loss.
- Chassis may be modified to accept front axle mounts (SCC) or guide modifiers (B-NOVA)
- Guide may not project beyond the body when aligned for straight, as viewed from directly above. Exception to the rule applies to the guide keel (only).
- Cars must have sufficient ground clearance to permit free running without contacting track. Cars which drag on the track may be excluded at the track owners’ discretion.
- Motor-pods are allowed in any orientation (Inline, side-winder and angle-winder).
- Magnets are expressly forbidden.
- Any commercially available sealed-can slot car motor that produces up to 30K rpm at 12 Volts is allowed. No rewinds or “mod motors” allowed.
- Magnetic down force from motor may not exceed 30 grams as checked with a Magnet Marshal, exclusive of car weight.
- Motor can be glued/taped/screwed in place. Pods can be taped or glued to restrict movement.
- Gears may not contact the track surface.
- Spring and magnetic suspension packages are allowed.
- Front Wheels Minimum size is nominal 15.8mm diameter over center-rib.
- Rear Wheels Minimum size is nominal 15.8mm diameter over center-rib.
- Reasonable scale appearing inserts are required in all wheels, unless the wheels have scale appearance and detail. Blank disc wheels, and wheels pierced with simple holes, must be covered with inserts.
- Front tires:
- Minimum front tire width is 8mm; Maximum front tire width is 10mm.
- Minimum front tire diameter is 18mm; Maximum front diameter is 22mm.
- Rear tires:
- Minimum rear tire width is 8mm; Maximum rear tire width is 12mm.
- Minimum rear tire diameter is 18mm; Maximum rear tire diameter is 22mm.
- Tires must appear to be black.
- Tires may be of any rubber/urethane compound. Silicon tires are expressly forbidden.
- No chemical treatment (such as oil soaking) is permitted.
- Tires may not project beyond the body when the car is at rest on a level track, as viewed from directly above.
- Maximum weight is 105 grams.
- Minimum weight is 70 grams.
- Ballast is allowed. Ballast must be above the chassis pan / inside the car. No ballast is allowed under the chassis pan. Ballast may be glued or taped. Ballast should not be visible from the outside of the car. If ballast finds its way off the car, a 5 lap penalty will be imposed if ballast causes an issue with a competitor’s car.
- The series will be raced at 11 Volts.
If it is not mentioned it is not legal.
These rules were written to create a fair event and not for racers to look for loopholes.
Rules can be discussed at the club’s forums until declared final: https://austinslotcarclub.com/forums/topic/2017-group-5-rules-discussion/