Series Manager: David C/Butch
Period: Q3-2022 – July – Sept (2 rounds per month)
After a career of racing motorcycles and cars, Carlo Abarth founded Abarth in 1949. The first vehicle produced was the 204 A Roadster, based on the Fiat 1100. It immediately won the 1100 sport championship as well as Formula 2. Carlo Abarth continued to produce aftermarket parts for numerous small Italian cars with many great results over the years in sports car and rally racing.
Abarth vehicles were renowned for being high performing and powerful, but first and foremost small and agile just like a Scorpion.
Fiat re-launched the 500 in 2007 and it proved to be the perfect car for Abarth to modify. On track the Abarth 500 competed in the “Trofeo Abarth 500 Italia” and the “Trofeo Abarth 500 Europa” championships, which include rounds at circuits such as Monza, Spa Francorchamps and Imola. In rallying, the new Abarth 500 R3T proved its spirit in many rally races in Europe where it proved to be a fun, exciting, and highly competitive car.
The NSR Abarth Fiat 500 is an excellent example of this iconic car, and the perfect car to run on the club’s rally track with its tight turns and large elevation changes. This series will be run as a “Spec” series with very few modifications allowed. This type of racing typically provides super close racing, and is the most enjoyable to race and watch.
NSR Abarth 500 Rules – as of 5-30-22
- Any of the current NSR Fiat 500 models https://www.nsrslot.it/assets/models/modelliCategoria/500/500.html
- Body modifications are Prohibited except as noted here.
- The rear mounting tab can be extended with a plastic shim/sandwich (see Marty’s mod in the Forum) to keep the rear tires from contacting the rear of the wheel well.
- OEM hard plastic cockpits and glass are Mandatory. Lexan cockpits/drivers, glass Prohibited.
- Mandatory: Body must start every heat with radiators, windows, and wings attached.
- Antennas, mirrors, wipers, and tow hooks are Not Required and do not have to be replaced if they come off.
- White kits are Permitted but must be painted, or decaled uniquely, with at least one coat of paint.
Two race numbers must be visible.
- Body screws Open Choice. These can be taped over to prevent drops/loss.
- OEM Black (medium) chassis and any other color/hardness NSR chassis designed for the Abarth 500 are Permitted.
- Modifications to the chassis are Prohibited, including sanding.
- Ballast is Permitted but must be above/inside the chassis.
- NSR brand guides are Mandatory, any model is Permitted.
The blade Must be 17mm or less in length to navigate the tight corners/turns on our track.
Note: Non-rally NSR “wood guides” must have their length shortened to 17mm.
- Pick-up braids and Guide spacers – Open Choice.
- Any NSR short can motor Permitted.
- Modifications to the motor Prohibited (rewinds, armature swaps, mag zaps/swaps)
- Lead-wires and lead-wire/guide terminals (grommets, eyelets) Open Choice.
- NSR sidewinder motor pod Mandatory.
- Sanding of motor pod Prohibited.
- Permitted – motor held in place with M2 screws (Open Choice)
- Prohibited – motor held in place with tape or glue.
- OEM stock NSR brass bushings are Mandatory. Bushings may be glued in place.
- Pod screws – Open Choice.
- NSR brand gears are Mandatory.
- Gear Ratio value is Open.
- Spur size is Open, but must be the OEM material (Aluminum)
- Pinion size is Open, but must be brass.
- Modifications to spur or pinion gears are Prohibited.
- OEM NSR brand wheels are Mandatory
- Rear wheels –
- Diameter – 18mm Width – 8mm Material – Aluminum
- Front wheels –
- Diameter – 16mm Width – 8mm Material – Aluminum
- Rear wheels –
- NSR brand Inserts are Mandatory but may be interchanged from different NSR models.
- Modifications to wheels Prohibited.
- OEM stock NSR solid axles are Mandatory. Hollow and independent axles are Prohibited.
- Modifications to axles are Prohibited.
- Stop-collars, spacers, and washers are Open Choice.
- Any NSR tires are allowed.
- Tires may be glued, trued, and have their edges rounded/chamfered.
- Traction compounds are Prohibited.
- Varnishing Front tires (with CA or nail polish) is Prohibited.
- Wheel/tire must not be visible outside wheel-well/fender when viewed from above.
Track Power: Adjustable per racer/heat, and round/week
Mods Not Mentioned: If it is not mentioned it is not legal. These rules were written to create a fair event and not for racers to look for loopholes. Please contact the series manager (Dave C/Butch) with any questions. Discussions are at: https://austinslotcarclub.com/forums/topic/2022-nsr-fiat-abarth-rally-qx-2022/