Proposed 2022 Race Series – Monte Carlo Rally ’61-’71 Proposed builder’s series for rally track

Home Forums Club Races Racing Calendar, Classes & Regulations Proposed 2022 Race Series – Monte Carlo Rally ’61-’71 Proposed builder’s series for rally track

Viewing 54 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi guys!
      With the Tourist Trophy series going strong, and the rally track beckoning, I thought it might be fun to toss around the idea of a builder’s series for the Rally track. I propose Historic Monte Carlo, 1961 to 1971. This would allow for a wide variety of cars, many readily available. I amp posting this ahead of the October meeting to gauge interest, and possibly get discussion going.

I am going to attempt to post 2 pdf files below, a pitch, and a first draft of possible rules.

[attachment file=”16907″]

[attachment file=”16908″]

You are the man!  I love this idea and you have put the work into the rules on the front end.  Well done.

I think it would be either a 911 or 914 for me.

Participant

Marty, the beautiful 904 also ran the Monte

Participant

I have a fly 911 Rally with the navigator head bashed in and BFGoodrich Canada decals for Ludwig Heimrath IMSA.  Has the little duck tail.  I have the original narrow wheels and tires that would put it in rally track shape.  I also have the low end motor, but also the Olifer chassis to make it a big track car.  I strongly advise that the rules spec a tire and wheel combination that is narrower than our Targa Porsches.  The motor size also appeals to me, but allow any 12k motor like a Scalextric would have as a white end bell. I have wanted a small Austin Mini Cooper from Scalextric and would need narrow tires.  The 904 and 914 (I almost bought my neighbor’s in 1973) are enticing.  I keep wishing the rally rules allowed multi-car teams because I want those cars.  For information use, are there some appropriate bodies for scratch building with a Penelope Pitlane or Policar F1 chassis, like an old Saab?

Participant

Alright, I did just order the most iconic Scalextric Mini, the Monte Carlo Rally red with extra lights and Monte Carlo sign age.  I wanted one for years, so even if it does not pan out I’ll enjoy it.  I still would like some info on a scratch body one a 3D or Policar chassis.

Marty, you can run a BMW 2002tii sedan finally, if not a Porsche, or Alfa, or Alpine…..

P.S. I understand a CG Slots Maserati Birdcage will not be eligible, but the year I saw it live, 1960, the Camoradi paint job was not on it, so the #66 would just need a number change to #5.  Hmmm.

Randy – I think the Scalextric Mini with a 3D chassis would be a great car for the rally track.  There is virtually no weight hanging over the back end.  The little wheelbase should work well on the rally track.  Can’t wait to see it.

Porsche 904?  What the heck?  I had no idea the 904 had done the Monte.  That is crazy.

Participant

O think there is (or was an Ocar Saab 96 shell. Car shells need a lot of work, they tend to be thick and heavy, I hear.

The reason I was thinking spec Predator motor was among other things, approaching slow car corner about being a sponsor for the series.

Will have to re-thing ground clearance. Just measured my TR+6. (Did not run the Monte, but some Spitfire fastbacks did.) Anyway, with the small wheels, the motor can is less than 3/32 from the set-up block surface. Would like to avoid slammed cars that don’t look right for the period.

Participant

OK with me for Predator if we get “slow car corner” to sponsor.  Have you decided to at least allow reference to IMMENSE F1 driver heads?

Participant

Sounds like a good idea – you guys thinking the 12k or 18k Predator?

BTW – I have experimented with the Piranha brand 21.5k motors they sell, and find them to be Reliable, $8 (yes half a Slot.IT price) equal to the Orange-Bells.

PSM21 Piranha 21,500 RPM Motor, Short-Can

Participant

See the proposed Monte-revival rules above.

My Austin Mini Cooper has very narrow tires on plastic rims.  I think I can find aluminum wheels for such a popular car and found replacement 29 shore tires.  However I believe we need to stay with narrow tires.

Participant

[postquote quote=16932]

Pendle’s has “10 inch” aluminum wheels, and tires to go with. (I think they are rubber rather than Urethane)

Participant

The cutest slot car I have ever owned, and maybe another iconic car will show up Saturday.  Both narrow tires even with the aftermarket wheels and tires.

Participant

I think the Monte Carlo tire width should be 6mm which conforms to the stock tires on most older cars and there are plenty of after market wheels with grub screws, inserts and tires.  The 1970’s era cars with 3d chassis have room for 8mm tires, but they should run spacers to get to 6mm.  Otherwise run a separate class for 60’s cars with narrow tires and early 70’s with wide tires.

Participant

I believe that I was the one who first bought one of the Group 2 BRM/TTX 1:24 “mini” cars for a possible series.  I propose that we defer these cars for consideration for series in the second half of the year.  I think that these cars would make an excellent series, I have not run any of them yet.  Considering the array of chassis setups, some with differentials, some with freewheeling fronts, and the variety of cars, we need more time with these cars to see which cars and which setups we want to include for a series.

Russell

Participant

I think that the rules for the Monte Carlo series should be somewhat loose concerning wheel/tire width/track width.  There are a lot of unknowns with the rally track for car size, width and so on.  A small car with little wheels/tires may well outrun a larger car with wide tires.  Keeping things open for the first races will allow for experimentation to find out what works.  The balance between tire grip for the straights versus the cars sliding in the handbrake turns will be interesting.

Russell

Participant

Here are entry lists for the Monte Carlo Rally from 1961 to 1971

Participant

I just saw a new Predator motor that would be the correct choice for my Mini.  I am open to the Predator sponsorship if possible, but would just as soon use what come with my SRC and Pioneer cars.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXikEiQdUzY

I have a Mustang coming for the race that would use steel wheels like cars came with in the 1960’s.  SCC has some that do not use inserts.  CBD0350 CB Design 1:32 Classic Steel 14 x 6mm Wheels (slotcarcorner.com)  There are some members who have wanted to use the spoked CB wheels and stock car race wheels.  I suggest allowing these non-insert wheels.

Participant

I would like to, as much as I can, encourage variety, and scratch building/kitbashing in this series. To that end, I think an Index of Performance trophy is in order (formula to be determined, but most likely based on overall width at axle factored against race times) and a meaningful number of points for the concours.

Entering as multiple team members seems like a fine idea, but should probably set a maximum number of cars one person can run.

I don’t want tires to become a source of consternation and stress, so I am leaning toward tire/wheel choice being fairly open, as long as they adhere to the look of the prototype car racing in the day. This is a scale event, after all.

If I am able to contact the guys at Slot Car Corner, and can secure a bag full of Predator motors, we will go spec, but if not, will need another approach. 18k and under, perhaps.

Since I have never been a series manager before I ask for your guidance and patience in this.

-Marc (Datto)

Participant

In the interest of a varied grid I am looking into a few possibilities. Need to have at least one french car, right? So I found this SCX Renault. And going more scratchbuilt-ish a ’61 corvair, if I can make a silk purse out of this sow’s ear.

[attachment file=”17068″]

[attachment file=”17069″]

[attachment file=”17070″]

Participant

UNSAFE AT ANY SPEED.

Ralph Nader

Participant

Big break through on the fancy decals for the Ecurie Ford France Mustang, thanks to a GT40 model decal set.  Ordered narrow wheels and urethane tires today plus a few other decals.  I hope it is good enough and fun enough to sideline the Porsche 914/6, but  like that car as well.  Maybe the Mini will be quickest.  Good luck to everyone working on a special car for the Monte Carlo Q2.  Let’s make sure we have the cover off of the Monte Carlo track during Q1 some for practice with the timing system.

Participant

Index of performance:

Handicapping formula:

Measure width across back wheels of all entrants

Compare entrants’ width against widest (Benchmark) entry

arrive at index factor of entry X against widest entry by dividing entrant x with by benchmark.

That index factor is applied to entry X’s time.

For example:
      John’s 911 is 55.6mm across the back tires. Being the widest competitor this is the BENCHMARK dimension for this race (stage)
      My Triumph Herald is 40mm across back tires

Divide Triumph width by Porsche width for INDEX Factor.
      Index factor in this case is .71942

Both make 40 laps or rally track

911 completes 40 laps in 360 seconds

Herald completes 40 laps in 430 seconds

Handicap is 430 X ..71942

Handicapped time is 309.35 sec.

I think in the interest of a varied grid, the Index of performance will be weighted equally to overall performance points-wise So, conceivably one could winn overall, AND Index of performance for double points!

Can anyone point me towards the method used to score the Targa Florio rally earlier this year ?For the second time in my life I wish I knew how to use a spreadsheet.

I am curious how you came to the number 0.71942?  Not arguing it, just curious.

Marty

Participant

[postquote quote=17080]

Marty,
      40 (herald width) is %71.942 of 55.6.(911 width)
      Since width at rear wheels seemed to be the main attribute being pursued, I used relative width to arrive at a factor to apply to time. I thought it would be a good way to get people to entertain cars other than the lowest/widest to get a more varied field.

Endurance races, like Sebring, and LE Mans use fuel consumption as a factor in their Index of performance, but that really isn’t applicable here. Still it did yield some interesting results at times;

1950 Sebring winner

Participant

CORVAIR – if we paint GM on the valve covers, can we use a Porsche flat-6?

Participant

Grrr…lots of Saab models at 1/43. Can’t find a single one at 1/32 (except for a resin 96 by Oscar Models that is apparently not being sold anywhere).  A Sonett II would also be cool, but nothing but 1/43. The search continues…

As much as I can see the overall width playing a role I think the width of the tires is a bigger concern.  My example:  I think I am going to run an MRRC Porsche 904GTS which is a very narrow car and is much narrower that the Fly 911 I was going to run.  Even with the narrow width of the Porsche 904GTS I can still mount 10mm wide tires front and rear using a 3D chassis and CB Design wheels.  I believe these wider wheels/tires on a narrow chassis will be the best of both worlds and be hard to beat.

We might want to take a look at the old Mille Miliga rules from 2012.  The rules stated that the widest tire you could use was 9mm with either a 22mm or 20mm diameter.  This alone could do a lot to level the performance.  NSR make a selection of 8mm width tires that we could look at using for this series.

The rules for the 2012 Mille Miliga were very simple.  I have them below for review.

Participant

Another eligible car will soon be available from George Turner Models.

Sumbeam Alpine resin kit

[attachment file=”17098″]

Attachments:
      Participant

Just thinking. Any practical reason not make brass chassis legal?

Participant

[postquote quote=17087]

Know anyone with an Elegoo Saturn? My printer is not quite big enough for 1/32 bodies, unless I print them almost vertical, which can lead to problems.

for 10 Euro, I’m considering giving it a try. Gotta have a Saab!

Saab 96 printable

I think a metal chassis would potentially have a big advantage in keeping the weight of the car as low as possible and give the car an advantage with added stability.  I might be missing something here about the availability and ease of use of a metal chassis but I would be concerned there would only be a few members that would want to put the work into finding the right one and learning how to set it up.

I am worried about making the rules too difficult for members to participate.  It’s already challenging for some members to prepare a spec car much less a builders car.  I think it would add another layer of difficulty that might push members away from running the series.  One of the key factors to consider in running any series is the level of participation.  If only half the club participates then it’s not a great series to run.  The easier we can make things for members the better it will be for the club as a whole.

Participant

Fair enough. Just thinking out loud.

Participant

For me, personally, spec events are much more difficult, as there is so little wiggle room.

I’m a pretty poor driver, so I look for other opportunities to perform.

On tires: Every fiber of my being wants to keep the width to 8mm max, to keep this a scale series, but I don’t want to chase people away.

Participant

I’m ok with 8mm wheels and tires if they look right.  Not so keen on brass chassis unless the car is a resin body with a thin brass chassis like Penelope Pitlane.   Please include independent rotating fron wheels because my Scalextric Austin Mini Cooper comes that way.  There is not room up front for an axle where the guide is up front.  Actually I don’t mind letting independent rotating front wheels on any car.  (A famous 917 cheat I purchased has secret independent front wheel.)  I like those cars you found and included.

Participant

I can see no reason why front axle treatment should not be wide open.
      A good opportunity to see what works.

Participant

John was wanting to use F30 tires. Can they be shaved down to 8mm reasonably easily.

Participant

F30s – SHAVED TO 8mm – probably not possible, the internal RIB channel inside the tire is 5mm wide, leaving 1.5mm on each side.
      John is a crafty guy so maybe that *IS* possible ….

Some Tire and Wheel Ideas:
      http://slot.it/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/A-parte-SLOT.IT_2020-_Slot_IT-POLICAR-accessories-REV-18-02-2020-OK-WEB.pdf

REAR TIRES
      Slot.IT PT1088-C1 (8mm wide, 16.8 Dia/Tall; C1 compound)

https://www.nsrslot.it/assets/download/NSR%20catalogo%202021_web.pdf
      NSR 8w X 17od Supergrip (shore-28?) NSR-5204; Ultragrip (shore-22?) NSR-5205
      NSR 8w X 18od Supergrip NSR-5227; Ultra 5228
      NSR 8w X 19.5od Supergrip NSR-5248; Ultra 5249
      ** Ultragrips ??may?? be Too-sticky for the Rally (not enough drift)

REAR WHEELS
      Slot.IT W15808225A/WH1050-AL (8mm wide, 15.8 Rim Dia/Tall) Alloy/alum; 2.5mm Hub)
      Slot.IT W15808215A/PA24-ALS (8mm wide, 15.8 Rim Dia/Tall) Alloy/alum; 1.5mm Hub)
      Slot.IT W16508215A/PA43-ALS (8mm wide, 16.5 Rim Dia/Tall) Alloy/alum; 1.5mm Hub)
      Slot.IT W17308215A/WH1110-AL (8mm wide, 17.3 Rim Dia/Tall) Alloy/alum; 1.5mm Hub)
      Slot.IT W17308225A/WH1048-AL (8mm wide, 17.3 ​Rim Dia/Tall) Alloy/alum; 2.5mm Hub)

FRONT WHEELS
      Slot.IT W14308015A/PA33-ALS (8mm wide, 14.3 Rim Dia/Tall) Alloy/alum; 1.5mm Hub)

FRONT TIRES
      Slot.IT PT19/1096 (8mm wide, 14.2 Dia/Tall; Z1 ZERO-GRIP compound)

Participant

TYRE WIDTH – IMHO –

• Max Width limit to 10mm;  8mm preferred .. but    > >
      • Scrutineering Criteria = must not exceed the wheel well/skirt/lip (by 0.5mm)
        • v.s.  ‘Visible from Above’ which can be subjective and does not really fulfill the true objective of the Rule which is basically – don’t use F1 width tires and wheels sticking out of a sedan;
        • i.e. if it looks like a Drift car the tires are too-wide.
        • However, if a *Sliver* of black appears, DQing the tires is a little heavy-handed …
      Participant

Another interesting source of body shells.  Entz Racing Components on ebay.  Many euro and American including a 1969 Corvair like my 1967 real car.  Require full scratch building of car since only the body shell is 3d printed.

I need dashboard gauges for my Mustang and only found 1/32 fighter plane decals.  Are those the good thing for car interiors, or is there a real car gouge source I missed?

And so we have the 3d chassis conundrum where there is room for wide tires like we use on the modern big track.  I vote 6mm unless 8mm looks period correct.  Just the direction I am taking.

Participant

TA – you were not part of the club the last time we tried super skinny tires, (e.g the 2014 Trasn-Am).  In that case the spec was BRM S-117, shore-30-22mm-Dia x 9mm-Width.  Results were brutal, altho to be fair those cars were generally Heavy.

I favor having “open” tires with a max width of 10mm; contingent on them fitting under the wheel-well Lip/skirt; and they need to look reasonably “scale” and period-correct for the car.

If that means your cars need 6mm wide tires; Goferit!  If that means 10mm tires look appropriate and fit in the wells on John’s car – fantastic.

IMHO the term “Reasonably” should be used with lots of judgement; the more “rigid” we get on this series with specs, the more we deviate away from its theme of “a builders series” and a series where “Concours d’Elegance” and innovation are weighted higher than most other criteria for qualifications.

Participant

Here is a second draft of rules after some input, and edited to be more concise. There is an asterisk after some contentious items.

Monte Carly Rally Revival
      Rules second draft

To be held on ASCC Rally track
      One of the aims of this series is to see a variety of cars and approaches.

Cars eligible:
      Any car that ran the Monte between 1961, and 1971 Entrants should have some info and documentation on this. Cars should be a reasonable 1/32 depiction of the prototype.

Multiple entries are permitted, but each entry will require a unique driver persona for the scoring software.

Model configuration:
      Any hard plastic injection molded or resin cast 1/32model. (No vacuum formed shells) RTR slot cars /shells are allowed, but must run spec motor, and are not eligible for Concours.
Cars must have interior tray (Vac form permitted) and figures for driver (with steering wheel) and navigator. Fantasy liveries allowed, but must be true to the period.

Chassis/Drive configuration
      Chassis: Any plastic or printed chassis. May be stiffened/reinforced.
      Motor: any unmodified PREDATOR motor rated at or below 18k rpm
      Guide/braid/motor leads: open
      Gearing: open
      Axles, front/rear: open
      Ballast permitted, no weight limit imposed.
      Ground clearance: Must not damage track, copper tape or timing system.

Wheels/Tires:
      Wheels to be a good faith effort to depict wheels on prototype vehicles. Wheels/tires must* not protrude beyond wheel arches as viewed from above. (If prototype car had wheels protruding beyond arches, documentation must be provided to scrutineer, and must be to scale) Wheel inserts are required. Maximum tire with front and rear (at bulge) 8mm•. Tire diameter should be scale to prototype within 10% after truing. Rubber or urethane tires allowed. Coating of front tires with nail varnish or C/A, etc. is allowed.
      SILICONE TIRES PROHIBITED.

Scoring
      A series of 6* stages will be held on the ASCC rally track.
      Each stage will carry X points per finishing place
      An Index of Performance (under review) will be applied after applicable info is gathered, and will carry X points per (adjusted) finishing place

Both posts totals will carry forward toward final score*

Concours to be judged by third party if possible. Points will apply to final score.

Participant

The Mini Cooper is ready to go tire wise except for painting two inserts.

Wheel inserts should not be required as our SRC Porsche 914’s have fancy wheels that are one piece Fuchs.  I also plan to use DC Wheels that are one piece and look like the wheels that used to come on real Mustangs, commonly called “steelies” with lug nuts and all.  Not the modern 5 spoke one piece wheels.

Are we getting sponsorship from Predator or just trying to restrict it to Predator even if the car comes with another brand at 18k or less?  I could do without the Predator requirement and just meet the rpm target.

The 8mm tire target is tough since my SRC 914 has fancy wheels that have wider tires.  I’m going to keep working on the 8mm limit.  Maybe we should have two classes: 8mm and over 8mm with the 1970-71.

Participant

Noted about inserts. I will check the Tourist Trophy rules and see how Russ put it.

I have talked to Steve at Slot Car Corner. Is interested in a sponsorship. and supplying 10 (17.5k to 18k) motors. We will need to decide how to divide that 10 among:

Slimline

S-Can

Long Can

Participant

TWO-CENTS

INSERTS required *only if* an alloy wheel does Not already appear realistic and period correct.  CB Design and similar wheels, with Holes only (i.e. spokes r OK, and smoothies with Lug Nuts) are not allowed (i.e. if they are designed for inserts, inserts are required).

TIRES  6, 8, 9mm width  – basically the OEM (out of box) size or very close and within the wheel wells.    ?? Do the 914s have 10mm Width tires?

MOTORS Need to be Racer specific so we should be sending Marc the spec for the motor:
      * CAN/TYPE: FF (‘F1’ Slimcan; FF-050); S-Can (Mabuchi style “Short-Can”; FC-130); Long-Can (a.k.a. ‘boxers’; FK-180)
      * SHAFT SPEED:  xx,000 rpms  (18,000 or less, regardless what your original motor was)

Remember: Most FF motors have a 1.5mm shaft-Diameter (OD) and hence cannot use the same Slot.IT and NSR pinions used for the MX16 Orange-end-bell and other S-can and long-can motors.  1.5mm ID Pinions are available but can be tricky to find. https://slotcarcorner.com/collections/pinion-gears-for-1-5mm-motor-shaft

Adapter shafts are also available, but at this moment I do not have a link to a vendor.

Participant

[quote quote=17137]1.5mm ID Pinions are available but can be tricky to find.[/quote]

A little tricky but hot nearly as tricky to get as some of the tires we have been required to run 🙂

Participant

I have some Slot.It 1.5mm pinions if somebody needs them. Do not use Policar pinions, they are a different pitch.

Participant

[postquote quote=17139]
        Thanks for the 411 Marc   🙂

Participant

[postquote quote=17138]
      See post Post 17112

There is also:  BRM S-117, shore-30-22mm-Dia x 9mm-Width
      /* not sure how available they are */

plus .. across the pond PSR may have many options to support their Penelope Pitlane kits.

Difference between the Fly Porsche 911 and the Monogram Porsche 904.  There are not only big differences in the width of the cars, there are big differences in the width of the stock tires.  Having said that, you can get a 3D chassis for the Monogram Porsche 904 that will allow you to use hubless 10mm width wheels and tires.  

I think the best way to avoid the tire and car width issue is to mandate a tire width.  Find a tire-wheel combination that works and mandate that.  You can also adjust the rear track on most cars to bring them all very close to the same rear width.  The wider bodies will look really funny with the wheels pushed all the way in but that is a way to level the playing field.

I prefer to limit the cars by having mandatory parts requirements more than a random calculation to level the performance of cars.

Marc – you are the expert with these smaller “build” cars and are better equipped than the rest of us to suggest a specific wheel/tire make, model and size.  Throw something out and let’s see how it works.

Participant

We would need to find a wheel/tire that will work for a Mini as well as a 911. Of course we could mandate the mini wheels/tires for every car, I suppose.

Participant

I’ll bring three cars Saturday for inspection.

I have the correct aluminum wheels, inserts and tires for my Mini Cooper so that I can true the tires.

I intend to run the SRC 914 as delivered with low profile 8.5mm front tires and 9mm rear slicks.  Who would run a Monte Carlo race on slicks?  The wheels are beautiful so I’m running those wheels and would like to use the tires.  I would change all tires to a narrower width like 8mm, as long as they have what I measure as 5mm rib.

The Mustang is an undecorated Pioneer car with nice mag wheels for a Trans Am car, but I am buying CD Design steely wheels appropriate for the ones on the Mustang rally cars according to photos online.  It has 8.5mm front and 10mm rear tires with tread pattern, but I will change to 8mm wide front and rear IF that is what we decide.  The 8.5mm tires look much more scale like for a rally tire on the Mustangs online.  SCC has urethane tires narrow enough for 8mm.

Participant

I will be making up some rally lights for folks to use on their builds (thanks for the suggestion, Mark)

I could make up solid bits that you paint oand stick on, or I could make lights with clear vac-form lenses that require some assembly.

[attachment file=”17160″]

Participant

I have plenty of lights on my Austin Mini Cooper and covered lights on the Porsche 914.  I have cobbled together two bits of plastic to look like covered lights to add to my Mustang.  If you are making something more like lights that are just covered I could use a total of 4 for my Mustang.

I also ripped the rally driver and navigator out of a Lancia that have helmets and intercom microphones.

Participant

I could use 4 individual driving lights 7mm dia. or less.  I am sing them 2 in the Mustang grill and one on each lower front valence.  The Mustang has little turn signal holes on the valence below the headlights that are just 1mm dia., so a little stalk on the back of the driving light would be helpful for mounting.  My other cars have 6 lights each already, and the Mini has one on the back hatch.

(I heard more Monte Carlo build talk yesterday during intermissions between races that indicates some existing Porsche 914 owners might be building other more original/unique cars.  My black Cobra Goodwood car was malfunctioning, so I put my Mini on the track and was quickly black flagged.  Ha Ha.)

Participant

If we go with Predator motors I need a sidewinder for the Mustang, a long can for the Porsche, and a slim long ff for the mini.

Participant

I am more and more convinced we should have two classes of cars based on some “R1” group like 3d chassis/wide stance/wide tires/low body and “R2” group with stock chassis/narrow stance/narrow tires/high body.  That would allow an all out ASCC 3D style assault on the rally and a more scale car race.  My Mini would race R2with almost stock size components, and my Porsche could be my second car with R1 wide components.  The real full size rally championships have had motor divisions, but I would let the slot car motor be open.  (and that is what I learned at the UT Law School dispute resolution (mediation) classes the City sent me to) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_R

Participant

I think the myriad of options and hence grouping of regulations, makes a two-class system viable.  Series standings would be according to the classes.
      Since we are only counting lowest ET per 40-lap heats, that simplifies the Points counting.
      Since we are also doing single car heats, there is not an issue of competing directly against a different class.
      To start the series, we have the Concours, and points assigned (These could be held in secret by Marc/SM until the series end). However, this would prevent late (mid) entry of cars (for the Concours), assuming the Concours would require all cars present so they can be ranked.
      Then, per round, a car is registered in the class (which cannot change) and points are allocated according to Place within the class.

Participant

Concourse

I remember a series years ago that had a concourse, or best livery I think was the name, and it was for any car raced at least once.  I believe the award was not available to a car that had won the best livery previously.  No secret ballot held secret until the end of the series.  I may enter a Mustang from a white kit with numerous substituted parts, and find it is not competitive, when I finish it and enter it near the middle of the series.  The time could be dropped but the livery could be judged.

Participant

[postquote quote=17164]
      If Marc gets a deal with Slot Car Corner on the Predators, then we need to order early (X date in Jan?) and everyone “in on the deal” should order what they need from Marc, so he does not have to cast-the-dice to determine how many FF, FC130, FK180 motors are needed (not a time or cost-effective approach 🙁
      RACER
      Brand/Model/Livery/Team/#/Year
      MOTOR TYPE (FF, FC130, FK180)
      RPM
      QTY Needed
      I also recommend we do Not randomly state motor requirements in a series of posts. On a certain date Marc could text/email us (or collect in a specific meeting) and create a single table from which to order from SCC. Otherwise there is a risk someone’s requirements will be missed or mis-interpreted and then the fireworks begin 🙁
      Ditto for wheels and tyres, if we later consider a mass-order approach on those (say to get a deal on CB Design wheels).

Participant

[postquote quote=17183]

It might be best for encouraging participation and variety toped up the motor category
      Steve at SCC was wiling to part with 10 motors, total, and as you say, determining the mix would be a moving target.

Randy, RE: concours, I think the idea of requiring only one race for eligibility is a good one.
      If your scratch or kit bash car participated, it is eligible

RE: lights. The photo of the Z Marty sent me looks like it has 5 inch rally lights (assuming the sealed beam headlights are 7 inch) That would make for 5.5mm lights. Are there any other sizes, I should be considering making up?

I found some front lights at Pendleslot made by PCS as well as TeamSlot.  The pictures show the TeamSlot version where the lights are in a bonnet/grill mounted version and the PCS loose mounted versions are available in pairs.

Randy,

I can’t wait to see your cars.  The Mustang sounds very cool in the Ecurie livery.

I still think the 914 will be the quickest but I like the mix of other cars.

Marty

Participant

Monte Rules third draft

Monte Carly Rally Revival 1961-1971 Innovation and Controversy
      The Monte Carlo Rally was begun in 1911 to showcase advances in automotive technology, and to promote Monaco as a tourist destination. The decade between 1961, and ’71 developed into a contentious arms-race of creative engineering, and creative interpretation of rules.

This is builders series designed to encourage scratch-building and kit-bashing, but RTR cars are welcome .

To be held on ASCC Rally track
      One of the aims of this series is to see a variety of cars and approaches.

Cars eligible:
      Any car that ran the Monte between 1961, and 1971 Entrants should have some info and documentation on this. Cars should be a reasonable 1/32 depiction of the prototype.

Classes:
      Entries will be divided into 2 classes
      Class A: Cars with rear tire width (at bulge) 9mm and wider. Motor choice is open
      Class B: Card with rear tire width (at bulge) under 9mm. Motors limited to 18k RPM and lower

Multiple entries are permitted, but each entry will require a unique driver persona for the scoring software.

Model configuration:
      Any hard plastic injection molded or resin cast 1/32model. (No vacuum formed shells) RTR slot cars /shells are allowed, but are not eligible for Concours.
Cars must have interior tray (Vac form permitted) and figures for driver (with steering wheel) and navigator. Fantasy liveries allowed, but must be true to the period.

Chassis/Drive configuration
      Chassis: Any plastic or printed chassis. May be stiffened/reinforced.
      Motor:
      ClassA: Open to all commercially available, unmodified motors.
      Class B: Open to all commercially available, unmodified motors rated at or below 18k rpm
      Guide/braid/motor leads: open
      Gearing: open
      Axles, front/rear: open
      Ballast permitted, no weight limit imposed.
      Ground clearance: Must not damage track, copper tape or timing system.

Wheels/Tires:
      Wheels to be a good faith effort to depict wheels on prototype vehicles. Wheels/tires must* not protrude beyond wheel arches as viewed from above. (If prototype car had wheels protruding beyond arches, documentation must be provided to scrutineer, and must be to scale) Wheel inserts or wheels with scale detail are required. Maximum tire with front and rear (at bulge)
      Class A: 9mm and above
      Class B less than 9mm)
      Tire diameter should be scale to prototype within 10% after truing. Rubber or urethane tires allowed. Coating of front tires with nail varnish or C/A, etc. is allowed.
      SILICONE TIRES PROHIBITED.

Participant

I think this was one of the most interesting races as far as the cars built and the use of our rally track.  FOR NEXT YEAR how about one of these options:

Finding ready-to-run cars with nice plastic bodies and adding 3D chassis is a good idea, but Datto’s Corvair and the two Saab bodies showed us 3D bodies, and probably resin bodies, with 3D chassis work at the slower rally race.

1. Hill climb with unlimited class like Pikes Peak and big time Euro races without a designated era.  (Like we discussed for  a wide open class on the road course.)
      2. Monte Carlo redux with an era, to be discussed, from about 1970 (Porsches that just finished 2022 race) until 1979-ish that includes bodies that still looked like cars including the Lancia and Audi super cars.  Try to have the cars from the beginning of the era that are competitive with the later year.  I think the 2022 race had an era that included cars that were too modern to compete with the early-mid 60’s cars.  (I don’t care if we have two classes based on tire width this next time, but that was fun until a modern 914 snuck in ha ha ha.)
Viewing 54 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.