Lotus 72D + Mclaren M8B/C

Home Forums Slot Car Talk Members New Rides Lotus 72D + Mclaren M8B/C

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

So the first one is a survivor. This lotus was my 2nd slot car, I got it used back in 1984 and it was manufactured by Estrela in 1973. Luckily this car wasn’t very fast and I barely used it. I don’t know who was #5 in the 1972 F1 season but I believe this car was supposed to have a #1 decal on it. If I remember correctly sometime in the late 80’s I tried to make the car look better and stripped all the decals and bought a new set, unfortunately the #1 set was sold out. At some point this year I will try to find a way to recreate all the decals or just pay a fortune for an original set .. let’s see.

Haha, all the tires and axles were threaded

This is a restored version:

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#2 on the list is a Vanquish MG McLaren M8B/C. Very nice detail on this one, I specially like the way those intake pipes look. I’m curious to check it’s performance with the differential … I’m guessing it won’t be very fast. Maybe a super fast motor? Do I smell a diff melting?

Ary,

Love that old Lotus. When is the last time you ran it?

You got the Vanquish. Have you run it yet? How does it work? Is the differential adjustable or is the friction level fixed? Here is an article from Home Racing World on how to change out the differential.

https://www.homeracingworld.com/vmgdiff.htm

The track’s lane spacing would be great for those cars. Maybe a 70’s Can-Am class for all Vanquish cars. Very nice.

Marty

Keymaster

I will put both cars in the track this Saturday. The Lotus has been in storage for 15 years, I changed the brushes and the gear but I don’t know how it will run, it also needs fresh tires.
      The diff on the vanquish seems to be fixed but it works beautifully — just like the real deal — I’m just not sure about how durable it is.

Changing the subject a little: What is Vanquish MG website? I’m looking around for their products and I can see that they manufacture some really nice 70’s F1 models .. but no official website?!

Keymaster

Just read that VMG went of business a while ago .. that would explain the lack of a website.

Here are the F1 models they manufactured:
      https://www.slot32.de/wbc.php?sid=15325572e586&q=vanquish&x=0&y=0&tpl=suche.html&page=3
      I would buy all of them, really nice.

I also found that the store with the most VMG products is this one:
      https://www.slotbazar.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=vanquish&sort=1a&&page=1

Participant

Ary

I have a Vanquish M8B kit, not completely asssembled, and a RTR Vanquish Lotus 72D. I only ran them briefly but my recollection was that they were not fast, and were also slightly larger than 1/32. The Lotus does look very good and I think the Mclaren would look good too, if I were to finish it.

Russell

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.