2022 – Group-C/IMSA (Q1-2022)

Home Forums Club Races Racing Calendar, Classes & Regulations 2022 – Group-C/IMSA (Q1-2022)

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

This is the head-thread for discussing rules, cars, testing for the annual Group-C series.

Marty is our Series Manager.

Looking forward to this annual classic.  Hope to see more variety this year.  I hope to see Steve run his Nissan and Marc run his Mercedes.  Let’s hope for more makes.

Participant

I plan to reassemble my Toyota and hold the BFGoodrich IMSA in reserve.

All – Here are all of the Slot.it Group C race results for the past six, sort of, years.  Want to know if you have your car set up to be competitive?  Just check out these times as your guide.  Good luck in setting up your car for the upcoming 2022 Slot.it Group C series.

Here is information on the specifications of all the Slot.it Group C cars.  Enjoy.

The History of Slot.it Group C Speed

It was twelve years ago that the Austin Slot Car Club ran its first series – the first Slot.it Group C series.  It’s not hard to understand why the club would choose these cars to run for its first-ever series – the cars were stunningly beautiful, easy to set up, loads of available Slot.it performance parts, and the cars were inexpensive.  When set up well these cars were fun to drive and were very evenly matched making the races very exciting to watch and run.

In the twelve years since we first ran the Slot.it Group C race series there have been improvements to the cars from Slot.it – adjustable front axles, stiffer chassis, lighter drive cockpits, and a quicker 23K motor.  All of these changes have increased the performance of the cars and made them more enjoyable to run.

Throughout all of the changes made by Slot.it the club has continued to run the series at the same 11 volts it did at the first race twelve years ago.  Running at 11 volts has worked well but almost all of the current racers are running the lowest possible gear with a 9 tooth pinion and a 23 tooth crown gear.  With almost everyone running the same 9×23 gearing the series becomes more about motor strength than car set-up and driving skills.  It’s true that driving skills play a big role in any race but even the best driver cannot overcome a down on power motor.  The differences in motor power are especially noticeable on a track like ours where the straight is such a large part of the circuit.

In light of this, the Slot.it Group C series starting January 2022 will be run at a higher track voltage.  The final voltage has not yet been decided but current thinking has it somewhere between 12 and 13 volts.  The 12-volt setting did not seem to be too big of a change and 13 volts seemed like it could be too much.  There will be lots of testing taking place in November so that by December the final voltage number will be announced.

How does the change in voltage affect how my car is set up?

·         You will have to reevaluate the gearing you are running.  If you are currently running a 9×23 gear you might have to move the crown gear up to a 24 or 25.

·         You can add more weight to your car without the same performance penalty you would have had at 11 volts.

·         You will need to glue your rear tires to the wheels.  If you have been able to get by without gluing your rear tires to the wheel you will have to now.

·         If you choose to run the same 9×23 gearing you will more than likely not be able to run at full throttle on the back straight.  The higher voltage with 9×23 gearing will require better throttle control.

·         You will need to adjust both the sensitivity and brakes on your DiFalco controller.

Participant

As a perennial back marker in this class, I was fine with our test run at 12 volts.  I am not a dedicated tinkerer with gearing, but a simple crown gear swap is ok.  The 13 volt setting would probably overwhelm my reflexes to stay happy driving my car.  Re-gearing and adding weight at 13 v would just put me farther behind and make me a moving boulder in the stream.  Thanks for thinking about our class that runs every year.  Are there 2021/2022 cars being sold that are a vast improvement in some way that I could benefit from a new car, even if it means dropping the BFG livery?

Randy – The final decision on the track power has not been made but it’s safe to say that I want to have as many people compete as possible.  This in and of itself means the power setting has to work for everyone.

Any of the newer Slot.it cars are not any better than the cars we have been running.  The only thing you might find different is a lighter interior or one that has less interference with the chassis.  Other than that, the cars currently available are no quicker than what we have been running.

I would love to help you get your car and controller set up for the increased voltage.  I would suggest changes to the crown gear before you mess with the pinion.  A one tooth change to a crown gear has a significantly smaller impact to the gear ratio than a one tooth change to a pinion.

It should not be that much harder to run than it is currently.

All – Here are the proposed rules for Slot.it Group C.  Please review and post any comments you have.

Slot.It Group C Models Allowed

Jaguar XJR6, XJR9, XJR10, XJR11, XJR12
      Lancia LC2/84, LC2/85
      Mazda 787B
      Nissan R89C, R90V, R91VP
      Porsche 956, 962, 962 IMSA
      Sauber C9 Mercedes
      Toyota 86C, 88C, JTK 63C

Body

The body cannot be modified in any way.
      The stock plastic cockpits and glass are mandatory
      Lexan cockpits or glass is prohibited.
      Body must start every heat with radiators, windows, and wings in their correct location.  If any of these items fall off during a heat they must be repaired before the next heat starts.
      Antennas, mirrors, wipers, and tow hooks are not required and do not have to be replaced if they come off.
      White kits allowed but must be painted, or decaled uniquely, with at least one coat of paint.  At least two numbers must be visible.
      Body screws open choice.  These can be taped to prevent loss. Any car that loses a screw and causes an issue with a competitor’s car will have a 5 lap penalty applied.

Chassis

No modifications to chassis are allowed unless otherwise specified.
      Chassis must be Slot.It that is intended for the body.  This can be the stock version or an EVO or EVO6.
      Motor pod cut-outs can be removed.
      Flashing on chassis may be removed to allow better floating of the body.  The gap between the chassis and the body cannot be greater than the thickness of a credit card.
      Front axle lower adjustment caps are optional.
      Modification to the upper axle loops is prohibited.
      Front axle height adjusting grub screws are open choice.
      Magnets of any type are prohibited.
      Ballast is allowed but must be above the chassis pan. A 5-lap penalty will be imposed if ballast falls onto track and causes an issue with a competitor’s car.

Guide

Slot.It guides are mandatory.  Slot.it SICH-07 deep wood screw guide highly recommended.
      Pick-up braids are open choice.
      Guide spacers are open choice

Set Up

Wheel/tire must not be visible outside wheel-well/fender when viewed from above.

Motor

Slot.It V12/4 23K motors are mandatory.  The older version of this motor has a dark orange end while the newer motors have a white end.
      The small circuit board on top of the motor can be removed.
      Any modifications to the motor are strictly prohibited.
      Lead wires and lead wire guide terminals are open choice.

Motor Pod

Slot.It inline motor orientation mandatory.
      The motor pod is prohibited from protruding below the chassis.
      Flashing may be removed from motor pod to allow better float. Excessive removal of material determined by scrutineer.
      Motor can be held in place with screws.  Screws are open choice.
      Motors cannot be held in with tape or glue.
      Slot.It stop/axle collars are allowed.
      Spacers/washers are open choice.
      Slot.it CH14 or CH56b spherical bushings mandatory.
      Pod screws are open choice.
      Tape may be used to prevent the pod screws from falling out.
      Slot.It magnetic suspension kits are allowed.

Gears

Slot.It in-line crown gears and pinions mandatory.
      Gear ratio is open.
      Modifications to crown gears or pinions are prohibited.

Wheels

Slot.it wheels are mandatory.
      Rear wheels –
      Diameter – Only 15.8mm or 16.5mm
      Width – Only 8.2mm or 10.2mm
      Material – Aluminum or magnesium
      Front wheels – only 15.8mm wheels from any material are allowed.
      Diameter – Only 15.8mm
      Width – Only 8.2mm
      Material – Plastic, aluminum, or magnesium
      Slot.it Group C wheel inserts are mandatory.
      Inserts may be interchanged from different Slot.it Group C models.
      Any modifications to the wheels are prohibited.

Axles

Only Slot.It axles are allowed.
      Any modifications to axles are prohibited.
      Slot.It independent front axle kit is allowed.

Tires

Only Slot.It tires are allowed.
      Tires may be glued to the wheels, trued and have their edges rounded.
      Traction compounds are prohibited.
      Varnishing the front tires to make them slick is prohibited.
      Zero-Grip (front) and F30 (rear) tires highly recommended.

Track Power:    12.0 volts

If it is not mentioned it is not legal.  These rules were written to create a fair event and not for racers to look for loopholes.

Participant

Just curious, could I run a March 83 with a 3d chassis and all running gear slot.it parts including inline motor?  Just watched “NETFLIX” Bad Sports series about Randy Lanier using a chevy powered March to beat the IMSA Porsches.  I am least likely to build a 1st place car, but would we allow a master builder to enter a magic 3d chassis car?

Randy – Unfortunately you will not be able to run a 3D chassis with the March body.  Having said that, I do like your idea.  You will have to stick to a Slot.it Group C car for the series.

The Netflix piece on Randy Lanier was crazy.  It was almost comical.  His slide into drug smuggling appeared much less deliberate than Bill and Don Whittington.

Marty

Participant

Time to post rules to the rules header.  I sure thought the March being on TV was a sign that it would qualify for our Grp C race. 🙂   Happy New Year.  My ThunderSlot was running a little off yesterday on a cleaned track.  The BFGoodrich Porsche was faster on the straight.  HMMMMM!!

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

BarkingSpyder

At 4-years old in Pensacola I repaired my steering linkage on my Ford Pedal-car. Dad later converted this car to a Blue Angel with ailerons and elevators with a working "stick/yoke"; the rudder was controlled by the steering wheel. I like all motorsports - I grew up going to a NASCAR Feeder track with Sportsman and Modified classes, and was lucky to attend drag races in 1970 at Orange County Raceway. My first solder-iron was a Christmas gift at 9yo; I modified T-Jets to be AFX spec before AFX Cars were in local stores. I rebuilt a few tractor & car (SIMCA) engines plus transmissions by 15yo (I still have my ring-compressor and valve spring tool) I am a former mountain and road bike geek & perennial sound engineer. Struggling guitar hobbyist and Amp "tweeker"