2021-Tourist Trophy Series (H2-2021)

Home Forums Club Races Racing Calendar, Classes & Regulations 2021-Tourist Trophy Series (H2-2021)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Participant

This is the head thread of the series discussion for 2021 – Goodwood Tourist Trophy
    This series will be run from July – Dec 2021 (by default the 2nd Sat of each month; same day as the monthly meeting)
    Series Manager: Russell Mill / ChapRacer-65
    Rules will be posted on the main page; under “Race Rules” > “2021 Racing Series”
    Rules will be similar to those from 2017: Austinslotcarclub.com/2017-racing-series/2017-tourist-trophy/
    Questions about the rules will be covered in this forum thread.
    ** Rules will not be duplicated in this forum thread.

Candidate Cars: see the 2021 rules when posted; see the 2017 as a basic list
    This is a “builder” series allowing a wide amount of cosmetic and technical customizations; including 3D chassis and lexan cockpits.

Does anyone own a Fly 250LM and a Fly 250 GTO?  I would like to get the wheelbase measurement for both cars.  Let me know if anyone has either or both of these cars.  Thanks

Will the Cheetah be allowed since it ran in 1963?

Participant

I also would be interested in running a Cheetah; I have a Carrera ‘aluminum/chrome’ version. With the OEM chassis it responds well to a 21.5 Slot.IT. The front wheels are independents; but the OEM size makes it a challenge to clear the tires off the track; Plus there is not much room in the chassis to sub with a wider (but smaller diameter) alloy Slot.IT wheel. So – I replaced mine with independent wheels from another Carrera with a smaller diameter.
    The body is thick in places, and the chassis is very tight on the inside (limited spots to out ballast). If the Cheetah is allowed I would also prefer that a 3D chassis be allowed for Carrera. MRRC and other brands with challenging chassis.

Participant

Looking at the rules, is “wheel track” defined here as distance from left wheel center-line to right wheel center-line? Or is it overall width, tire-bulge to tire bulge?

-Thanks,
    -Marc.

Participant

I have updated the 2021 Trophy Series rules page, with additions and deletions.  The Cheetah will be allowed.  Wheel track will not be an issue, being limited by the  body width; the same goes for rear tire width.  Normally, for 1/1 cars, wheel track is measured by wheel center to wheel center, but, generally, for slot cars, we have defined it as outside tire width to outside tire width.

Participant

I figured track width was overall width in this case, just wanted to confirm. The F1 proxy is very busy about track width, and it is center-to-center.

About liveries. I think fantasy liveries should be period appropriate. Sorry for not mentioning earlier.

Participant

I have a Monogram Shelby GT350 that would be a nice car with a 3d chassis.  I would need to fix it from its bad and broken front motor chassis one way or another and would like to make it into the race.

Participant

Randy

The Shelby Mustangs were 1965 cars.  I think Falcons may have run but I don’t know of any 1/32 sources.

Participant

I have been reading the online descriptions of the 1960-1964 TT races and it shows that ’63 was the last year the race was similar to our proposed cars, but 1964 had sports racers like Lotus and Elva plus small displacement cars.  Should we drop back to 1963 as the cutoff or just limit the 1964 cars to the ones listed as GT over 2 liters?  I also noticed the 289 Cobra roadsters were in the race but we have spec’d coup or hard top.

Participant

Randy

In deciding on what slot cars should be eligible for a series, and matching them to historically correct 1:1 races, there are several factors involved.  What models are actually available as kits or slot cars, how available and how expensive are they, how difficult to build, and how competitive will they be, are all factors to consider.  If possible, we would want to avoid a series where one or two cars were clearly faster than the rest.  Limiting  the  cars to 1963 would eliminate a number of cars, including the Ferrari GTO64, the Ferrari 250 LM, the Porsche 904, and the Cobra Daytona.

A number of the eligible cars are only available as resin kits, primarily MMK, PSK, and GP Miniatures, many of which are difficult and expensive to get.  The resin cars are heavier and are typically set up for MRRC/PCS type adjustable chassis, although there may be some 3D chassis  available.  I think it would be difficult to make any of these cars competitive, and I would fear that the series would end up comprising mainly GTOs and XKEs.  I would love to have a series that would have Lister Jaguar coupes, Aston Martin Project 214s, Bizzarrinis, and Ferrari SWBs, but I don’t think that would happen.  Perhaps, a best livery/build award would encourage members to race some of these resin cars.

Opening up the slot series to 1964 includes more regular (plastic) slot car models that have a realistic chance of being competitive.  I did stretch things a bit to allow the Cheetah, because it did not race in Europe, but the Alan Green Cheetah, the red #8,  was given HTP eligibility status by the FIA, and I guess if we allow it in the 64 race option, we should also allow the Corvette Grand Sport roadster.  Or, maybe neither should be allowed.

To my knowledge, all of the Tourist Trophy Revival races have been 1960-1964 except for one year.  The Kinrara Trophy Revival (now Stirling Moss Memorial Trophy), which started in 2016, has been for pre-1963 cars.

The 63 289 Cobras that raced were all technically roadsters with removable hardtops, although there may have been some open 289 cars that raced in the expanded 1964 race.  To my knowledge all of the Cobras that raced  in the Revivals were either the hardtop coupes or Daytonas.

The Ferrari 250 LM is not a GT car and  perhaps we should not run it.  I am reluctant to exclude cars that members may have already purchased or raced (except for the overscale Racers), so we will soon need to make a firm decision on what cars we will allow.

I would appreciate as much input as possible on what everyone  thinks.

Thanks

Russell

Let me know the thoughts on the Ferrari 250LM.  I was looking to run a Fly version with a 3D chassis.  I have a MMK Ferrari 250GT but its so top heavy and the adjustable chassis is such a piece of junk that it does not run very well and would not be that competitive.  I am good with running any car that has a 3D chassis available for it.  I could run a Fly 250GTO if I need to run a real GT car.  Let me know where this lands.

Participant

Marty

The Ferrari 250/275 LM has continued to run in the Goodwood Revival Trophy Series, so unless we decide to roll back to a 1963 limit, I think it should still be eligible.

Russell

Participant

Russell – would a Fly or Carrera Cheetah, with a 3-D chassis be legal?

(other ‘livery’)

Participant

Mark

As I have said, the Cheetah is marginally eligible.  I do not have a Carrera Cheetah and I do not know if it is roughly the same size as the other cars.  If it is, and should therefore be of similar performance, in the interest of having a variety of entrants, I think it should be allowed.  If someone has one, please let me know of rear body width.  Also, if members think that it does not belong, please let me know.  The #8 Alan Green Cheetah has the best provenance for eligibility, but we generally allow fantasy liveries.  Period correct liveries are preferred.

Russell

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

BarkingSpyder

At 4-years old in Pensacola I repaired my steering linkage on my Ford Pedal-car. Dad later converted this car to a Blue Angel with ailerons and elevators with a working "stick/yoke"; the rudder was controlled by the steering wheel. I like all motorsports - I grew up going to a NASCAR Feeder track with Sportsman and Modified classes, and was lucky to attend drag races in 1970 at Orange County Raceway. My first solder-iron was a Christmas gift at 9yo; I modified T-Jets to be AFX spec before AFX Cars were in local stores. I rebuilt a few tractor & car (SIMCA) engines plus transmissions by 15yo (I still have my ring-compressor and valve spring tool) I am a former mountain and road bike geek & perennial sound engineer. Struggling guitar hobbyist and Amp "tweeker"