2018 series talk

This topic contains 39 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by BarkingSpyder BarkingSpyder 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • Author

Radial TA
    Participant

CAN AM!  I’m working on updating the 2014 series list of real cars from 1966-1973 and slot cars manufactured for this series.  There are numerous new manufactures, cars and 3D chassis that could expand the stable of competitive cars.  I’ll annotate the car chart to show which cars have Olifer, etc. available.  I am going to recommend that Racer Silverline (1/30) and Vanquish (1/28) not be allowed because they are too large.  If someone has a car from those companies that is measurably 1/32 that we can confirm we can add it.

I’ll draft series rules.  We should also specify some chassis and wheel rules based on Russell’s wild highly modified Porsche 917/30.  Resin bodies were allowed in 2014 so I propose we still allow them.

Since I expect to keep working on Saturdays at the golf course, I could only share Series Manager duties during non-daylight savings dates when I get off work at noon instead of 1:00 like now.  So consider being a Manager or co-manager.

BarkingSpyder
    BarkingSpyder
    Participant

ECONO Super-Cars Update
    — Open gearing being considered; per Marty’s comments

PROPOSAL TEMPLATE
    Attached is a Word doc you can download and/or print to document details on the series you want to propose. Yes, of course you can edit the document as you need for your series. PLEASE DELETE anything from the template that is NOT directly related to your series. You can also simply PRINT this out and manually pen in your specs and bring copies to the Oct meeting (strike out anything not related to your series).
    Please do NOT copy in the existing rules about magnets, silicone, oil-soaking, wings, ballast, screws …. especially if they are not typically encountered in our races or rarely enforced. We got it – there are standard things we don’t allow. Only discuss a variation, allowance or new restriction.
    Please be very simple and direct to the point.

"...I caught Maybelline at the top of the hill..." chuck berry

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by BarkingSpyder BarkingSpyder.
    BarkingSpyder
    BarkingSpyder
    Participant

CAN AM – Randy I will be glad to be your Assistant Manager. I will setup the track, prep for and execute Scrutineering if you are late, and help you with your first stories.
    —–
    RULES – IMHO, Russ’ custom wheels were legal and appropriate b/c the Donahue 1×1 917-30 had huge wheels/tires. Yes it dominated and so did Russell, but I doubt it was due to unfair advantage strictly from the tires/wheels. He put alot of work into the car and it could have easily failed – it was a fairly realistic process similar to what they did to the real 917-30 to make it win. His car was fat and heavy and easily could have been disadvantaged in the process.

So – for 2018, we could create a rule that for cars like the 917-30, F1 wheels would be spec’ed, therefore Not requiring (or allowing) someone to go through the custom wheel process that Russ did. Basically, for certain models we could allow the F1 wheels, but retain our standard spec that the tires have to be completely within the wheel-well/fenders. Realistically, if we have another CAN AM there is nothing wrong with keeping the spirit of the original 1×1 race and allowing the openness that made it the fast and exciting 1×1 series it was.

BarkingSpyder
    BarkingSpyder
    Participant

Attached is my proposal for an “Econo Super Car” series of Scaley High-Impact/Resistant:
    — Audi R18, Bugata Veryon, McLaren, Ferrari coupes
    — Motors must be the stock spec, but can be broke in and you pick from the best-of-the-litter. Perhaps all of us could break in our spare Scaley motors and bring them in to sell/trade?
    — The spur gear will be open, as per Marty’s concern to be able to tune the car to accomodate the inconsistent RPMs of the motors.

Radial TA
    Participant

Attached is a sheet of info for a CanAm series derived from the 2014 specs with updated eligible car info about almost ready to run like Slot.it, others with 3D chassis, and last the ones that have a body but the running gear is not up to par for our racing.

Radial TA
    Participant

Never mind about the TransAm suggestion earlier this year.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  Radial TA.
    porsche917
    porsche917

Russell brought up the idea of running the new Revo Slot cars as a spec series.  They are a BRM metal chassis with a Proslot Porsche GT2 body.  There are currently only six liveries but they do make a white kit.  I believe this would be a fun series to run as the cars weigh much more and are typically more stable.  I have one on the way for the club to check out.  We could run this series similar to a Scaleauto or BRM series – one with limited modifications.  You would be allowed to change the gearing and tire durometer.  The kit even comes with a wood guide we could spec.

BarkingSpyder
    BarkingSpyder
    Participant

Looks super cool! Obviously availability will be a factor to consider when to run this series (4Q?) and we eventually need to locate the price.   $90?  $120?

porsche917
    porsche917

The Revo Slot cars sell for $79.50.  All six liveries are available.  I have purchased one for the club to check out at the meeting.  To be honest, $79.50 is inexpensive considering it has a metal chassis and ball bearings.  The Thunderslot cars are $110 for plastic chassis.

Marty

Autorama
    Autorama
    Keymaster

— “Factory stock” Carrera GT Class: WEC /IMSA – year range TBD but definitely no cars prior to 2013.

I will be sharing more details during the club meeting.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 4 weeks ago by Autorama Autorama.

Radial TA
    Participant

The NSR GT3 997 Porsches are also all more expensive.  Can the club tolerate running the Anglewinder setup for NSR or Revo Slot to keep the cost down?  I can run anglewinder.

porsche917
    porsche917
    2018 Series Suggestions:

-Group C

-AllSlot Formula GP
    -Can Am 1966-1973: Slot.it , Thunder Slot etc.
    -Ford GT: a Slot.it spec series ala Group C.  Mk1 and MkII.)
    -Trans AM: Scalextric, Carrera etc. with Shapeways chassis. Open specs.
    -Vintage Rally: Year range, Open mfg., no drop arms.
    Thanks,
    John Breidenbach
    Mitleid
    Mitleid
    Keymaster

Also from what I can tell the Revo-slot car looks RTRace 4 metal wheels and all.  We can just say box stock plus tires it looks pretty cheap.  I like the chassis it looks interesting!!

"Jerry was a race car driver, and he drove so goddamned fast
    He never did win no checkered flag, but he never did come in last" - Primus

chapracer65
    chapracer65

I like the idea of the Revo-Slot spec series.  After the Goodwood series, which I really enjoyed, already having all the cars I built out for it, I have not had time to assemble and test unfamiliar cars for other series.  As has been said, maybe only tires and gears to change.  Everyone should be on equal footing.
    For other series, I like Can Am, a spec Ford GT Slot.it series, and Trans AM.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by chapracer65 chapracer65.
    Autorama
    Autorama
    Keymaster

— “Factory stock” Carrera GT Class: WEC /IMSA – year range TBD but definitely no cars prior to 2013. I will be sharing more details during the club meeting.

I’m ready to share the details:

“Factory Stock” Carrera GT Class (2015 to 2017):

–  Analog models without magnet + stock everything (wheels, motor, gears, etc).
    – CG Slotcars Carrera guide adapter + Slot.it wood guide.
    – NSR 5230 Supergrip (20.5 x11) rear tires + Stock front tires.
    – Polarity switch can be removed and wiring replaced.
    – Chassis sanding is allowed for float but gap should not be larger than the thickness of a credit card.

Models:

— Aston Martin Vantage V12

— Audi R8 LMS

— BMW M6 GTLM

— Chevrolet Corvette CR7

— Ferrari 458

— Ferrari 488

— Ford GT RC

— Lamborguini Huracan

Additional details:

Are you crazy? Stock gearing, plastic wheels??

Ok, as far as the plastic wheels go — yeah, we need to give it a try. I have checked the wheels of 10 or so Carrera cars I have purchased in the past 4 to 5 years and found all to be round and centered.

Now, instead of changing the car gearing, each racer will be able to change the voltage of their lanes. We would still be limited to the power supply range (6 to 16 volts) but that is plenty to allow all cars, regardless of weight, to reach their maximum potential.

Car list may be changed.

More details on the attached spreadsheet.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Autorama Autorama.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.