Slot.it Ferrari F40 Setup

Home Forums Slot Car Talk Tech Tips / Q & A / Tutorials Slot.it Ferrari F40 Setup

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

Let me first say that this setup was a “lucky shot”.

I really liked the Slot.it F40 with the factory setup: offset inline motor pod. After replacing the stock rear tires with P6s and the guide for the wooden track version, I was getting high 3.9 second laps, but the car was unpredictable – good straight speed but didn’t handle the turns well. Trying to fix that problem, I increased the factory gear ratio of 2.88 (9/26) to 3.0 (9/27); it didn’t really help, it was handling the turns a little better but now I could not get bellow 4.0 second laps.

I really wasn’t planning on using the F40 as my GT entry; I already had a McLaren F1 that was turning low 3.9 laps and it was consistent. 

With a Mclaren already set as my GT car, I figured I could play around setting up another. After looking at what I had available I spotted a Slot.it Audi R8C Raw; this car is by far the worst performing Slot.it car I ever purchased, it just simply does not work (maybe the track style, me , whatever — it is BAD!!). Contrary to what you would expect on a low performance car, the Audi Raw comes from factory with “nice” parts: Evo6 chassis with a Flat6-R motor on an anglewinder setup; and I decided to give that setup a shot on the F40.

Here is the setup:

• Slot.it Ferrari F40
        • Stock chassis: chassis was baked.
        • Stock front/rear axles, wheels and inserts.
        • Low profile zero grip front tires (PT15): 17X10. I removed the little plastic caps to raise the front axle and used grub screws instead. As I normally do, the front tire sits 0.5~1.0mm above the surface when set on a setup block. There is no way to keep the axle from moving up — it did have a bit of play upwards. 
        • BRM Shore 25 GT tires (S-104): Those are 20X11. True the tires and use lighter fluid to smooth’em out.
        • Offset anglewinder motor pod (CH60): this pod is for an Evo 6 chassis and has two additional screw posts on each side of the motor. The posts had to be clipped off as they were interfering with body float.
        • Flat6-R motor (MN11H): nothing was done to the motor, just install it.
        • 6.75mm 11 tooth pinion (PI6711o).
        • Light ergal 29 tooth anglewinder gear (GA169e).
      • Pod and Body screw settings
        • Body screws were 3/4 turn loose.
        • Front pod screws were 3/4 turn loose.
        • Rear pod screws were 1 turn loose.
      • Track:
        • Front track was 60.30mm.
        • Rear track was 62.25mm.
      • Weight and magnetic down force
        • Weight was 83 grams.
        • Magnetic down force was 19 grams.
      • Body:
        • The body was flexing inwards and interfering with float. To fix this issue I glued a piece of Plastruct tubing inside the body.

Here are some pictures:

The car was stuck to the track and produced a 3.832 seconds lap. Like I said before, this was a lucky shot and I will retired the car of competitions. 

This setup may work with some other Slot.it models, all you need to do is try it.

Participant

Ary,

I wish you would reconsider your decision to retire your F40 from competition. You have moved the bar up another notch and it gives us all something to shoot at. I have already made changes to my Mosler hoping to improve performance and improve driveability. After all, isn’t this what racing is all about? 

Jim

Keymaster

I’m with Jim.  Keep it running.  Gives the rest of us a target to shoot for.  Laughing

Keymaster

I have made my mind to use a different car each race.

Lap times have already been set with the F40 and we/I can use them as a benchmark. I figure I should take the opportunity to play around with different brands, setups, etc; I really do enjoy the mix and match aspect of this series. The F40 was pretty much entirely made of Slot.it parts, I need to do something different now. And hey, I do have another Ferrari ready to race Laughing

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.