ASCC Slot.It Challenge 2010 Rules

Home Forums Club Races Racing Calendar, Classes & Regulations ASCC Slot.It Challenge 2010 Rules

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

ASCC Slot.It Challenge 2010

This page contains the Austin Slot Car Club Slot.it Challenge rules for 2010. If you have any questions about the rules please contact Marty (Porsche917) on the ASCC forum under Rules and Regulations.

General Rules
      • Only Slot.it cars & Slot.it parts may be used. Applicable cars are as follows:
      • Porsche 962C 
      • Porsche 962KH 
      • Porsche 956LH 
      • Porsche 956KH 
      • Mercedes Sauber C9 
      • Jaguar XJR9 
      • Jaguar XJR12 
      • Lancia LC2 
      • Mazda 787B 
      • Toyota 88C
      • Only one car can be used through out a meeting, if a part breaks or fails during a heat, the car can be repaired but needs to be scrutinized before commencing the next heat. In the unlikely event of a total write off where the original car is beyond repair a replacement car (conforming to the rules) may be used for the remaining heats & finals but scores will be scrubbed for that meeting. No change of car is allowed during a heat.
      • New cars/spares which may radically change the championship format must be passed for use by the official scrutineer two weeks prior to an event and must be readily available to everyone.
      • Traction Magnets MUST be removed and no extra magnets can be added.
      • Weight may be added as long as it is inside the body and is not visible from the outside of the car and is firmly attached. No weight can be added anywhere under the chassis.
      • Weight of the car including any magnetic down force may not exceed 100gm as weighed on the Magnet Marshal.
      • The minimum ground clearance at the front of the chassis under the front axle is 0.1mm and 2.2mm at the rear of the chassis under the rear axle with new tires.
      • The maximum external tire to tire width for front and rear wheels is 63mm and 64mm respectively.
      • Front wheels must run with tires.
      • Press on front axle supports are optional.
      • Cars MUST have all their chassis to body fixing screws firmly secured or covered with a piece of tape to prevent screws working loose and falling onto the track.

BODY
      • Bodies may be repainted but must remain standard.
      • The use of plain Unpainted bodies is not allowed
                o Plain Unpainted bodies must be painted so that there are no unpainted areas (the use of clear coat laquer over unpainted plastic is not allowed).
                o Liveries cannot display any sexually explicit or otherwise distasteful wording or images.
      • Body posts may be reinforced by using a plastic tube.
      • No lowering of bodies, body mounting posts or trimming of wheel arches (with the exception of the Jaguars wheel arch locating points inside the body which may be removed to prevent the tire from rubbing).
      • The body may not be made lighter by sanding or any other means.
      • Rear wing attachments may be reinforced with glue or tape provided the body shape is not altered.
      • All Slot.it tear-proof parts for each model may be used.
      • Windscreens must remain standard and remain clear so that the interior can be viewed.
      • Bodies MUST start each race with rear spoilers and wings in place and securely fastened.
      • Mirrors & aerials may be removed.
      • Headlamp / tail lamp lenses must be in place at the start of the first heat of each meeting.
      • Nissan R390 must retain the rear grill section at the start of each heat.
      • Mazda may use the Jaguar XJR9 racing rear wing as a replacement for the original.
      CHASSIS
      • Chassis must match the body and remain standard.
      • The chassis edges may be trimmed to allow body or motor mount rock only, excessive trimming is not allowed and must not be used as a way of reducing weight or increasing flex.
      • The body may not be made lighter by sanding, drilling or any other means.
      • Some cars are supplied with angle winder ready chassis which are eligible for use in the championship; however they MUST retain the two pop outs which allow an angle winder mount to fit if used with inline or sidewinder mounts.
      • The HRS & HRS2 adjustable chassis are NOT eligible.
      • The new Evo 6 Chassis and Mounts are NOT be eligible.

SUSPENSION UNITS
      • All Slot.it suspension units in standard form may be used providing the body or chassis is not modified to fit them.
      • Suspension units must remain standard no mixing / matching of units allowed.

MOTOR MOUNTS
      • You may use any Inline, sidewinder or angle-winder matching motor & mount combination i.e. a boxer mount must use a long can motor.
      • Motor mounts MUST remain standard and must not be modified in any way.
      • Motors MUST fit the mount as they were intended i.e. no turning or lowering of motor in mount, no additional adaptor mounts can be used.

MOTORS
      • Any Slot.it motor is eligible for use and MUST remain standard with the exception of cutting down the motor shaft to avoid interfering with running gear.
      • No hybrids or upgrading of motor magnets or brush gear allowed. If there is evidence of the motor can being opened this will be viewed as tampering and the motor will be deemed illegal.
      • The motor cannot be glued or taped to the motor pod or chassis.

GEARING
      • Any combination of gearing from the Slot.it range only may be used.
      • Gears MUST remain standard, no drilling or lightning of gears allowed.
      • Gears are NOT allowed to be glued to the axle or motor shafts.

WHEELS
      • Any combination of Slot.it wheels (plastic, alloy or magnesium) from the Slot.it range only may be used. Slot.it F1 sized wheels are not eligible.
      • Wheels MUST remain standard, no drilling or lightening of wheels allowed.

AXLES
      • Only Slot.it solid or hollow axles may be used.
      • Slot.it independent front axle kits may be used in standard form only.

TIRES
      • Any Slot.it tire currently available from any Slot.it retailer is allowed except for the following:
      • SIPT26 F15 
      • SIPT27 F22 
      • SIPT28 F30
      • Tires may be trued and have their edges rounded.
      • Traction enhancing substances may NOT be used on any tires.
      • Tires may NOT be glued to the wheels.
      • In order for the scrutineers to identify the tires used are legal, the Slot.it logo which is molded to the tire wall must be clearly visible. Please Note if the tires are not easily identifiable by the scrutineers they will be deemed illegal.
      • Rear Tires are of a free choice from the Slot.it range only.
      • Front Tires are of a free choice but must be of a rubber compound.

GUIDES
      • Any guide from the Slot.it range only may be used.
      • Guides may be trimmed to shape if required. (It is illegal to add parts to a guide ie extending the blade.)

LIGHTING KITS
      • Are not required and MUST not be fitted.

FREE CHOICE
      • Only parts available from the Slot.it range are to be used except for the following:
      • Braid, 
      • Axle spacers 
      • Guide spacers 
      • Motor to guide cable 
      • Alloy wheel grub screws 
      • Body screws 
      • Motor fixing screws.

If Its not mentioned above then it’s illegal!
      By registering for the Slot.it Challenge series you are accepting the rules above and agree to abide by the organizers & scrutineers decisions.
      Keymaster

Quote:

• Tires may NOT be glued to the wheels.

Can you true a tire without gluing it ?

About the cars; can you use these?
      Porsche 956K Schiesser Hockenheim 1985
      Porsche 956C Obermaier Racing LeMans 1986
      I’m guessing this class includes all LeMans cars from the 80’s?

Ary,

You can true a tire without gluing it to the rim. Most Slot It aluminum wheels are very true to begin with and the tires are tight enough on the rims that they will not spin when trued.

All Porsche 962’s and 956’s are allowed. I was using the descriptions lised on Slot It’s site.

Marty

Russell wrote-

The Slot-It challenge sounds good. Is there a reason why other Slot-It cars are not listed? (Chaparral 2E???)

Russell

The Slot It challenge is not open to all cars due to performance and looks.

The Slot It cars listed are evenly matched in weight and performance while all being from a similar period in time. The idea is to have a race series that was as evenly matched as possible in performance and looks.

Marty

Here is another Slot It Challenge option from the Houston group.

Race 1: Slot.it Le Mans

Race any flavor of Lemans car you want as long as it’s a Slot.it with an

Orange end-bell motor (only), In-line driveline configuration (only), tuned to current Challenger rules (only).

Thoughts?

Marty

Participant

What does the Challenger rules consist of?

Keymaster

I agree that motors should be only one type (same RPM). I would allow yellow dogs for tires, but Kings would need to to carry them in stock. On the car model I think you should select a date range as previously posted. I’m not in favor of running a 70’s, 80’s cars against the current stuff.

I am all in favor of just selecting specific Slot It cars to run in the series. Here would be my list of cars we could run-
      Porsche 962
      Porsche 956
      Nissan
      Toyota
      Sauber Mercedes
      Jaguar XJR 9
      Jaguar XJR 12
      Mazda 787b
      Audi R8
      Lancia LC2

Marty

Participant

To keep the cars even, you can’t add the Audi R8 or the Nissan R390. Those are far more stable and faster due to the chassis designs and wider wheels.

Participant

I’ve been mulling this around and I would like to propose 2 Slot.it classes. The first will be the Grp. C class with stock configurations and rear tires can be changed to whatever. Slot.it, NSR, SuperTires, etc. The second will be open to all Slot.it cars but all parts must be Slot.it including tires.

Thoughts?

-Shawn

Then its the same list less those two. Can we please pick the rules so we can all start to work on our cars so they are in line with them.

Marty

Keymaster

I vote for:

• The original car list
      • Orange Endbell FC-130 Slot.IT Motors only 
      • Inline Setup Only
      • Any gears (They are basically all the same and SCX are cheaper)
      • Yellow Dog or Slot.it tires

Quote:

• Porsche 962 
      • Porsche 956 
      • Mercedes Sauber C9 
      • Jaguar XJR9 
      • Jaguar XJR12 
      • Lancia LC2 
      • Mazda 787B 
      • Toyota 88C

Participant

What Ary said.

I would stick with Slot It gears and tires so Kings can stock and sell the parts we use and suggest other racers use. I am good with everything else but those two points.

Marty

Keymaster

That’s fine … either way. Let’s move to the calendar now. Every other Saturday? Starting when?

Keymaster

Works for me…

I am in. Would Thursday nights be used as a practice/set up day?

Marty

Participant

I’ll leave that up to you guys to decide. Because I travel most of the time during the week, I’m not going to be able to make every test and tune night due to work.

Keymaster

Marty, pick the days and let us know … I’m sure most of us will be fine with it.

Here is a cleaner version of the final rules I suggest we use. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Slot.it Challenge 2010
      Ver.9-3-10
      Models Allowed
      Slot.it Mercedes Sauber C9, Jaguar XJR9 & XJR12, Lancia LC2, Mazda 787B, Porsche 956/962

Body
      a) No modifications to the body are allowed unless otherwise specified.
      b) No lexan cockpits are allowed – all cars must have hard plastic interiors.
      c) Body must start every race with all major parts intact including windows and wings.
      d) Antennas, mirrors, wipers, tow hooks, and other small, protruding parts from the body are not required.
      e) Wings must always be in place during green flag conditions. If wing removes itself from the car, the wing must be re-placed on the car under green flag conditions, within 3 laps and before the end of that heat. The race will not stop for a wing incident. If the driver fails to re-place the wing before the end of the heat, a 10 lap penalty will be placed and laps will not count onwards until the wing is re-placed.
      f) If white body kit is used, exterior of body must be painted with at least one coat of paint.
      g) Body screws are open choice, they may be taped over to prevent loss during the race, Tape may not control body or pod movement.
      h) Light kits are permitted, but are not mandatory. Removal of body material for light installation should be kept to a minimum. IE – a hole that allows the LED to be shown is acceptable, but a complete cutting off/removal of a head light bucket is not acceptable. “Too much” will be dictated by the scrutineer.

Chassis
      a) No modifications to chassis allowed unless otherwise specified.
      b) Chassis must be of type intended for body. Except:
      • Jaguar XJR9 chassis may be used for XJR12 chassis – vice versa.
      c) Standard, Angle-winder, and EVO chassis replacements are permitted. If Angle-winder or EVO chassis is used, the removal of pod cut-outs is allowed. Replacement chassis must be assembled according to Slot.it’s specifications.
      d) Only flashing on chassis may be removed to allow better floating of the body. If you can see material had been removed you have gone too far.
      e) Front axle lower adjustment caps may be left in place, glued in place, or completely removed. Caps may be sanded, but any modification to the upper axle loops is prohibited.
      f) All Slot.it guides are allowed.
      g) Pick-up braids are free choice.
      h) Traction magnets are not allowed.
      i) Ballast is allowed. Ballast must be above the chassis pan / inside the car. No ballast is allowed under the chassis pan. Ballast may be glued or taped. Ballast should not be visible from the outside of the car. If ballast finds its way off the car, a 5 lap penalty will be in place if ballast causes an issue with a competitor’s car. The same goes for lost screws.
      j) Lead wires are free choice, but must not be used to control front axle ride height.
      k) Slot.it independent front axle kit is permitted.
      l) Wheel/tire must not protrude outside of the body when viewed from above, no exceptions. This includes axle float.

Motor
      a) Motors will be standard orange end bell Mabuchi type handed out at the start of the challenge series. Motors are not allowed to be tampered with in any way. Motors will be marked to assure everyone the motor you received is the motor you are running.

Motor Pod
      a) Standard, non-offset, end-bell drive, Mabuchi-type INLINE pod is mandatory
      b) Only flashing may be removed from motor pod to allow better float. Excessive removal of material is not permitted.
      c) Slot.it stop collars may be used for the rear axle assembly. Spacers/washers are allowed and are open choice.
      d) Slot.it CH14 (stock) spherical bushings are mandatory, and may not be glued into the pod. No tape may be used to control pod float. Tape may be used on pods screws to prevent them falling out only.

Gears
      a) Only Slot.it inline crown gears and pinions are allowed.
      b) Gear ratio is free choice.
      c) Modifications to the crown gear and pinion are not allowed.

Wheels
      a) All slot.it 15mm wheels are permitted (PA17 family)
      b) Slot.it Group C wheel inserts are mandatory. Inserts may be interchanged from different models.
      c) Modifications to the wheels are not allowed.

Axles
      a) All slot.it axles are allowed.
      b) Modifications to the axles are not allowed.

Tires
      a) Only Slot.it tires are allowed.
      b) Tires may be not be glued.
      c) Tires may be trued and have their edges rounded.
      d) No traction compounds are allowed.

General
      a) If it is not mentioned it is not legal.
      b) These rules were written to create a fair event and not for racers to look for loopholes.

Lets start building our championship cars!

Marty

Participant

What will be the track voltage?

Keymaster

10V

Keymaster

Quote:

d) Only flashing on chassis may be removed to allow better floating of the body. If you can see material had been removed you have gone too far.

I’m lost here. Is flashing removal the same as sanding the plastic around motor pod?

Participant

Every injection molded plastic has pieces that are sticking out where the plastic was broken off from the mold. This is called flashing. So you may sand away the plastic that not part of the chassis or pod but you make not remove any of the chassis or pod.

Make sense?

Keymaster

Got it. I did not know the left over plastic was called flashing :oops:.

Keymaster

All,
      The rules have been tweaked a bit for the challenge series. There are no “material” changes, meaning that none of the previously approved hardware has been changed. There have, however, been several clarifications and a bit of word-smithing.

Take note that the tech inspection for this next series will be more strict. Now that we have all had time with our cars and enough experience to at least configure a car to a specification we wil be “tightening it up” a bit. This will also help any visiting or other prospective racers who come in with an understanding of what are accepted as the hobby-standard set of rules. (In our case the US Slot.it rules.) I have highlighted the modifications and clarifications to the rules in blue.

The only significant change is to the rear wing rule, which didn’t make sense in the context of our race format. There are still lap penalties for running without a rear wing, and all repairs must be taken under green flag conditions, but the final part of a heat has been redefined to time instead of laps. (5 seconds vs 3 laps) We don’t use the concept of laps as part our race length definition, so there is no reliable way to know how many are left. i.e. We don’t announce “5 laps remaining”, we announce “5 seconds remaining”.
      __________________________________________________________________________
      Fees
      The motor fee for the Q2 Series will be $15.
      Entrance fee per race is $5 for ASCC members, and $10 for non-members.

Models Allowed

Sauber C9 Mercedes
      Jaguar XJR9 & XJR12
      Lancia LC2
      Mazda 787B
      Porsche 956/962

Body
      a) No modifications to the body are allowed unless otherwise specified.
      b) No lexan cockpits are allowed – all cars must have hard plastic interiors.
      c) Body must start every race with all major parts intact including windows and wings.
      d) Antennas, mirrors, wipers, tow hooks, and other small, protruding parts from the body are not required.
      e) Wings must always be in place during green flag conditions. If wing becomes detached from a car, the wing must be refitted to the car under green flag conditions. The race will not stop for a wing incident. If the driver fails to replace the wing before the end of the heat, a 10 lap penalty will be imposed and laps will not count onwards until the wing is re-placed. If the wing becomes detached in the last 5 seconds of the race (Equivalent to the last lap) no penalty will be imposed.
      f) If white body kit is used, exterior of body must be painted with at least one coat of paint.
      g) Body screws are open choice, they must be taped over to prevent loss during the race. The tape may not control body or pod movement. If a screw falls off the car, a 5 lap penalty will be imposed if the screw causes an issue with a competitor’s car. (Note: This rule already existed, but was listed under the balast section.)
      h) Light kits are permitted, but are not mandatory. Removal of body material for light installation should be kept to a minimum. IE – a hole that allows the LED to be shown is acceptable, but a complete cutting off/removal of a head light bucket is not acceptable. “Too much” will be dictated by the scrutineer.

Chassis

a) No modifications to chassis allowed unless otherwise specified.
      b) Chassis must be of type intended for body. Except:
      • Jaguar XJR9 chassis may be used for XJR12 chassis – vice versa.
      c) All Slot.it chassis, except HRS & HRS2 are accepted. The removal of pod cut-outs is allowed. Replacement chassis must be assembled according to Slot.it’s specifications.
      e) Front axle lower adjustment caps may be left in place, glued in place, or completely removed. Caps may be sanded, but any modification to the upper axle loops is prohibited.
      f) All Slot.it guides are allowed.
      g) Pick-up braids are free choice.
      h) Traction magnets are not allowed.
      i) Ballast is allowed. Ballast must be above the chassis pan / inside the car. No ballast is allowed under the chassis pan. Ballast may be glued or taped. Ballast should not be visible from the outside of the car. If ballast finds its way off the car, a 5 lap penalty will be imposed if ballast causes an issue with a competitor’s car.
      j) Lead wires are free choice, but must not be used to control front axle ride height.
      k) Slot.it independent front axle kit is permitted.
      l) Wheel/tire must not protrude outside of the body when viewed from above, no exceptions. This includes axle float.

Motor

a) All participants will be issued a new Slot.it orange end bell motor at the beginning of each quarterly series. They are required to use this motor as their Slot.it Challenge motor. At the start of a Challenge Series motors will be drawn by each participant using a blind selection process where all motors will be placed in a bag and each participant will, without looking, select a motor they will use for the first half of the Challenge.

b) At the middle point of the series all participants will be required to remove their motor and the selection process will begin again. Once selected, the participant is required to use this motor for the remainder of the series. All motors are required to be turned in at the end of each series.

Motor Pod

a) Standard, non-offset, end-bell drive, Mabuchi-type INLINE pod is mandatory
      b) The motor pod may not protrude below the chassis.
      c) Only flashing may be removed from motor pod to allow better float. Excessive removal of material is not permitted.
      d) Slot.it stop collars may be used for the rear axle assembly. Spacers/washers are allowed and are open choice.
      e) Slot.it CH14 (stock) spherical bushings are mandatory, and may not be glued into the pod. No tape may be used to control pod float. Tape may be used on pods screws to prevent them falling out only.

Gears

a) Only Slot.it inline crown gears and pinions are allowed.
      b) Gear ratio is free choice.
      c) Modifications to the crown gear and pinion are not allowed.

Wheels

a) All Slot.it 15mm wheels are permitted (PA17 family)
      b) Slot.it Group C wheel inserts are mandatory. Inserts may be interchanged from different models.
      c) Modifications to the wheels are not allowed.

Axles

a) All slot.it axles are allowed.
      b) Modifications to the axles are not allowed.

Tires

a) Only Slot.it tires are allowed.
      b) Tires may be not be glued.
      c) Tires may be trued and have their edges rounded.
      d) No traction compounds are allowed.

Track Power

a) The series will be raced at 10 Volts.

General

a) If it is not mentioned it is not legal.
      b) These rules were written to create a fair event and not for racers to look for loopholes.

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.