ASCC Club Meeting Summary – Nov 2017

Home Forums Welcome to the Austin Slot Car Club Forum Club Official Announcements & News ASCC Club Meeting Summary – Nov 2017

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Participant

[caption id="attachment_11401" align="alignleft" width="300"] John ready for his heat.[/caption]

Nov 11 2017

TREASURERS REPORT: We have a strong balance, no outstanding payments due.

MEMBERSHIP: Rich has renewed and started to show up for a practice or two; hopefully he can visit us from Marble Falls more in 2018. Legacy member Roy was lurking around the track today getting some practice time in, but unfortunately had to leave before racing began. He will be in Austin until March 2018 so hopefully he can enter a few of the Group-C races. Eddy Allas joined 3 weeks ago but has not shown up since… welcome Eddy!

REMINDER: Our rally timing system is visible on phone/laptop via a browser. Connect to //rally-pc/8080. An application is available; contact Ary for details.

2018 SERIES – CAROUSEL BLURBS
      Ary need Series Managers to provide him a description for their series between 280 and 400 characters. Use 2017 series as an example. Pictures are also needed, even for the legacy series where maybe a new image could freshen up the summary from previous years.

JOHN B – Nov 4
      Unfortunately, John’s SVRA race only lasted 3 laps on Saturday because he got “clipped” on the nose by a racer who spun out at the top of the hill on turn-1 and who lost control and dropped across all lanes. The force was so great that John broke his brake pedal off at the weld on the pivot shaft. More significantly his frame forward of the cockpit was bent, and his radiator was mushed (thankfully not penetrated). This was heartbreaking as over the car’s life it has caught on fire and had a few other issues but “never been scratched”. The beautiful body was only damaged in the nosecone thankfully, but #78 will be out of commission for several months and $$$$$ (in the meantime maybe John can get into demolition derby or dirt-sprint car?)

CHRISTMAS PARTY
      Still not firm on whether our Christmas Party will be at Opal Divines, Sherlocks, BBQ place next to Sherlocks etc.

RALLY MISC
      Ary upgraded the Rally track’s power supply with a precision pot (yaah maan itz smuuther than blue cush…) – i.e. the knob now takes many turns to change voltage but at a very precise and controlled way.
      2018 Rally practices will be allowed more often; details will be revealed in April as we approach the July start of the rally series.

PFLUGERVILLE/OUTLAW
      Mark visited Outlaw Paintball and talked to Tom C. He has lots of work to do to clear out the upstairs storage/wood-shop area, drywall it and other basics. He will contact us in 1Q or 2Q 2018 when he needs help with physical assembly of his tracks and specifics related to electronics, power, timing gear etc. Don’t expect a grand opening until after Memorial Day, or at the earliest after Easter.

REVO SLOT RULES (Marty)
      — Basically this is a “spec OOB” race except: — the shipped wood guide can replace the plastic guide; tires can be glued and trued; front axle/tire height can be adjusted with guide spacers; OEM braid can be replaced (e.g. Slot.It brass or tinned race braid).
      — Alan (132slotcar) has spare parts for rear tires (just the 30-shores please); wheels; screw sets; and others. Crowns and Pinions must remain stock. Gear lash is adjustable by loosening the motor mount Star-6s with a TORX-6 and slipping a thin piece of paper between crown and pinion teeth.

CARERRA (Ary)
      — The OEM chassis must be used. Replacement Slot.It 17mm wheels (and corresponding tires) can be used. Position of the Guide adapter (when gluing) is the best way to set front-tire flying height.  More rules are coming soon …
      — Allowable bodies will be released soon; the orange, and blue Ford GT40s are an example of what’s legal. Lambos need to be GT3 models, no road versions allowed.

THUNDERSLOTS
      We need to get more details from Russ. These are primarily cars with spec NSR guts. Need to clarify *if* both the coupes and spyders (open cockpit) are allowed.

Participant

CHRISTMAS PARTY
      Jordan scored a free room at Opal Divines (across from Fryes and Hobby Town North).
      We voted at todays race (Nov 18) and Opal Divines is the location for the Dec Christmas Party.
      – By tradition we have a “white elephant” rotating gift event. Wrap a gift $20 or under. After 2nd gift is opened the second person can grab the first gift; this repeats where the latest “receiver” can grab any previous gift. Steals on the same gift can only occur 3 times.

GIFT SUGGESTIONS: Slot-car, 1×1 racing videos or Swag, static models, tools are great ideas. Liquor is also allowed as a gift but remember that not everyone drinks alcohol. Spare or vintage slot-cars, die-cast cars, photos, parts, tools, books, videos (no VHS please!) are great candidates.

Participant

As per a recent email – the Christmas party has moved to Marty’s house – Sat Dec 16 1:00pm -till ?
        Bring food, BYOB. See Marty’s email and his follow-up with directions and other details.
        No grinches allowed …

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

BarkingSpyder

At 4-years old in Pensacola I repaired my steering linkage on my Ford Pedal-car. Dad later converted this car to a Blue Angel with ailerons and elevators with a working "stick/yoke"; the rudder was controlled by the steering wheel. I like all motorsports - I grew up going to a NASCAR Feeder track with Sportsman and Modified classes, and was lucky to attend drag races in 1970 at Orange County Raceway. My first solder-iron was a Christmas gift at 9yo; I modified T-Jets to be AFX spec before AFX Cars were in local stores. I rebuilt a few tractor & car (SIMCA) engines plus transmissions by 15yo (I still have my ring-compressor and valve spring tool) I am a former mountain and road bike geek & perennial sound engineer. Struggling guitar hobbyist and Amp "tweeker"