2017 Series Talk

Viewing 29 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Lets start listing ideas of series for CY-2017.  My drafts:
      —  1/32 Porsche 917s from various classic races.  Various brands allowed, such as NSR, Carerra with HRS2 chassis, etc.
      —  An all Corvette series.
      —  CanAm redux
      —  Classic F1 – with limited upgrades to guides and rear wheels/tires. Cartrix has some beautiful models.  Motors are a mix of Mabuchi-S/D (Fc130) or FF
      —  Classic NASCAR – Pioneer or Scaley body with open chassis.
      —  1/32 dirt-modifeds with womp chassis, rubber tires, laminated cardboard bodies.

What about  a Fly Porsche 917K race series using Shapeways chassis?  There are tons of body options and you can find them on eBay for $30.

Participant

Porsche 917s – NSR only.  Only white is available so it will also be a concours competition.

Ford GT-40 – NSR only.  There are multiple bodies available  (MK-I, MK-II, MK-IV etc)

Participant

I would like to run an NSR series as I joined too late for the Mosler series and did not realize the NSR was the best choice for the GT series.  Either run Mosler again or the Porsche 917 NSR.  I finally am getting good with the old standby Group C porsche so bring that back.  I am also a big fan of the 60’s cars like Cobras, Ferraris, porsches, etc.  using Nincos Flys and Monograms with liberal addition of power and wheels/tires but set up fair/competitive.  Finally, my dream year would include TransAm again if it included the 2 liter and 2.5 liter cars and my Radial Tirebird BFG decorated car.

Participant
      1. 1/24 BRMs – not limited to Group-Cs, lets include the 917s, McLarens and Ferrari-512s.
      2. Russell suggested a ‘bracket race’ where a car is given an ‘index’ from the best time of a 3 to 5 minute qualifying run, (and we could also have 3 qualifying runs and pick the average of the 3 best times).  So, all teams (driver & car) with indexes from 3.7 to 3.75 would race each other, … with a 3.85-3.9 index would race together, etc.  The only restriction would be scale (1/32) of the car.
      3. Vintage Classics Race
        Spec would be for a Slot.It HRS-2 chassis; body would be GTs, Daytona Prototypes, basically 1970s-80s cars that are currently in vintage heros races.  Cobras, Cheetas, Ferrari GTs and GTOs, McLaren coupes, classic Mercs, classic corvettes, from FLY, NINCO, Carrerra, Scaley, etc.  Motor < 25k; Weight <100g; Rear Tires 17×12 max.
      Participant

Guys

Here are my thoughts on 2017 race series:

Goodwood Series–Based on my belief that the series was based on the original races, I had already selected a car that I thought would be an extremely competitive car–a Strombecker Lotus 30 with a Slot.it GT 40 chassis.  Just like the Fly Ferrari GTO, the GT40 chassis looked like a perfect fit.  After talking with Ary about a coupe-only series and reviewing my Doug Nye book on Goodwood, I agree that roadsters like the Lotus would be more competitive than the coupes.  That, plus the fact that they only ran the prototypes with the GT cars in 1964, I think the Goodwood series should be coupes only.  This will result in a (hopefully) competitive series. Car options would include the myriad of FlyFerrari GTOs with either a GT40 chassis as I described in my how-to article (only with an inline motor instead of sidewinder) or the Shapeways Olifer or similar chassis.  The Fly Ferraris are available for $50-$60 plus the chassis.  Fly also has a Ferrari 250LM.  There are Revell/Monogram Daytona Cobras and lightweight Jaguar E-types and vintage Monogram Ferrari 250 LM and Revell 289 Cobras with hardtops.  If someone wanted more variety there are a lot of MMK cars available or a variety of Racer cars as well.  I will bring my Goodwood book to the next event.  It has vintage photos as well as photos and full race results for all the Revival races from 1998 to 2007.

Porsche 917–I disagree that the Fly/Shapeways series would be more expensive/difficult than the NSR series.  There are a great variety of Fly 917’s available for $40-$60 plus a $15 chassis where the NSR’s are $80-$100.  As for the Fly interior, it is easy to put in a flat sheet interior with a driver head and arms and an upper dash.   I think either series would work.

More comments later

The Fly vs. NSR cost analysis is not as far apart as you may think.  It all starts with the purchase price for either of the cars but for the sake of argument lets say the Fly is purchased for $30 and the NSR is purchased for $100.  Lets look at the list of parts needed to build the Fly into a solid runner vs the NSR.  I am not including anything about the amount of time it would take to complete the build.

fly-vs-nsr-series

As you can see here the cost is virtually the same.  I am not arguing for one vs the other but I do think its important we are comparing them on equal terms of cost before making a decision.

Participant

Yes, of course the Fly would need all the parts for a complete car where the NSR would at least, nominally, be complete, but the end results would be that the costs were similar.

Participant

Marty,

Won’t you still need a 22k motor for the NSR 917?  Don’t they only come with the Shark 20k?

Good catch Shawn.  There is another $18 for the NSR but at least I get a good quality 20K motor to use later or put in a car of Jenson.  What if we said all the motors had to be 20K and we run the power at 12v?  Didn’t see that coming did you?

Participant

My vote is for NSR you can find them on eBay for $ 66 – $85. Running at 12 sounds like fun.

Participant

This is your beginner speculating on the unfamiliar world of volts.

Would 12 volts on the 20,000 Shark simulate the high revving Porsche motor better than 35,000 at 11 volts?  Does the 12 volts make really hyper active cars?

If we don’t do the 20,000 for the 917’s, maybe the Goodwood cars should be 20,000 at 12 volts.

Participant

Hmmm…. 20k at 12V…… sounds like a lot of broken NSR 917 bodies.

Participant

NSR 917

1. What bodies are allowed?

2. The hard cockpit has a deep tub – it can interfere if you want to place ballast midway or behind the front axle.  I propose we allow lexan cockpits.

3.  The stock chassis is the medium black – an extra hard green is available for $9-12usd depending on the vendor.

4.  The car is light and the 20k can work, but can we allow the 25k?

Participant
      1. NSR only makes the 917K.  What other bodies are you referring?
      2. I’m fine with that
      3. Chassis stiffness is open.  Black, white, blue, green, etc.
      4. We’re using up to 22k motors
      Participant

Per ASCC Ad-Hoc Club Meeting Oct 29

917-2017 Series
      Specs: NSR, any current or recent 917 model.
      Mods: NSR 22k Shark motor, NSR screw guide, black chassis with adjustable front axle height, NSR No-Grip front tires, NSR gears can be changed, smooth shank body screws, rear wheels can can a solid nib/rib or be AirSystem
      OEM Required parts: Body, hard cabin/tub, wire, medium/black chassis, stock rear tires (can be trued)

• After a discussion regarding chassis – we voted to spec the stock medium black chassis; therefore leveling the specs and helping to reduce additional expenses. If a racer has an old black chassis w/o adjustable front axle pillars, they can upgrade ($9) to a current medium/black chassis.

Not Allowed: Grinding of body or chassis, independent rotating front wheels.

Numbers, type, livery must be chosen. Please make your pick before Nov 12
      Current dibs: Dave #14-GES IPA, Ary #7-Gulf, Mark #2-Gulf, Russ #20-Gulf, Marty #23, Alex Whitekit, Randy #13, John B #1-Gulf, Rich #3

Goodwood-2017 Series
      Racers will have to declare your car to prevent duplicates. Fantasy liveries are allowed to help differentiate between duplicate or similar OEM liveries.
      The Racer Silver series is allowed.
      No metal chassis are allowed, Slot.It HRS-2 and similar plastic adjustable chassis allowed.

Participant

NSR 917 Parts List

BODY
      Interior Parts Kit: (no body shell) #1342
      Lights and glass #1341
      Complete kit with Shell #1349

Medium/Black Chassis:#1339
      Medium/Black Pod: #1247
      Height adjusting screw kit:  #1238
      SCC 4-40 Oval Point Set Screws

Screw Guide: #4844
      Guide Post Screw: #4852
      Wire:  (.75mm) #4826,  (.25mm) #4824

MOTOR
      Shark-22: #3001F (with sidewinder pinion for end-bell drive)
      Pinion:  (6.8mm SW) #6910, #6911, #6912, #6913
      Spur:  (17.5mm SW) #6030, #6031, #6032, #6033, #6034, #6035, #6036, #6037

WHEELS
      Front -or- Rear (solid rib) (16×8) #5001
      Rear (air system channeled rib) (16×8) #5002
      Rear (air system channeled rib) (17×10) #5004

TIRES
      Front: No-Grip for 16mm wheel: installed size 17×8  #5201
      Rear “classic” (treaded) SuperGrips for 16mm wheel
      Installed size 18×10  #5239
      Installed size 20×8.5 #5234
      Installed size 20.5×10  #5253

Participant

For those that don’t know already, the car comes with a 11t pinion and 32t spur from NSR.

Here is a link to all the stock parts and part #’s for the 917K:

https://www.nsrslot.it/models/917/917.html

Participant

Shawn I have some questions:

—  I believe the red-hard pod is OEM; so I assume that’s the spec part.

—  Are no-grips allowed; if so do they have to be the treaded no-grips (aka Classic) and is that the NSR #5201, or are the slick NSR no-grips allowed

—  So we can get spares for the rear, is the spec the Supergrip Treaded or Slicks? (in last weeks adhoc meeting Ary suggested the OEM style, treaded.)

—  Is the NSR screw guide allowed (vs the OEM snap in model)

—  Are we allowing the spur to be changed (as with most series)?

—  Are ball-bearing or swivel (Victors) bushings allowed vs the OEM oilites?

— Do wires have to be the OEM skinny cable?

Participant

Mark,

Since I was camping with Alex for scouts when the rules were finalized, I can’t fully answer your questions.  Historically, we’ve not allowed the low profile front tires due to the non-scale appearance.  I expect that to continue which would eliminate the 17×8 zero grip NSR tires.  All of my NSR 917Ks have the black motor pod so I’m not sure that the red is the stock spec.  If anyone has a newer 917, perhaps they can help us out.  According to the post you made on Monday, gears are open.  Somewhere I remember seeing that we’re allowing the NSR screw in guide.  Since people were wanting to keep the costs low, I would say the stock oilite bearings to be retained.  This whole keeping costs down on a NSR series is still baffling to me but whatever.  The rear tires are to be the stock tires but can be trued which eliminates the “tread” on them. Again this is from your post on Monday.

I’m confused why you’re asking me about the finer details on the rules as that didn’t seem to stop everyone from making those changes to the rules without my input.

Participant

Shawn,

— The text part list I posted was taken from the HTML table from the NSR site (the HTML is hard to read)

— At the meeting 10/29 several suggestions were made. I was not aware of which ones may have been from someone reflecting a discussion they had with you. Since you are the Race Manager, like other series the rules are yours to finish.  The only topic we really voted on was the hardness of the chassis.

My question on no-grips was about allowing any NSR no-grips (since we do allow no-grips in some series).

As race manager you may want to finalize rules (by declaration or by vote) this Sat 11/12.

Participant

Since the series was changed from Fly 917K to NSR 917K, I’d say quite a bit more was decided than just the chassis stiffness.

Participant
      Participant

Mark,

Ary has dibs on the Gulf #7 1970 Monza not me.  I have the #24 Salzburg from 1970 LeMans.

Participant

I will update the list. Looking forward to the final rules – moreso to the race!

Participant
      Participant

GoodWood – Tourist Series

I plan to enter a Monogram Cobra, and Fly FT250 as backup (both HRS-2 chassis)

Participant

2016 917 Dibs List

2016-917-dibslist

Participant

917 DIBS needs updating.

Sorry guys something got fubared on the list.

1. Russel = #20 Gulf (not on list since its an older model)
      2. Rich – #3 Piper

I will post as a table

PLEASE SEND ME ANY UPDATES

Participant

Brett dibs the Green #43 David Piper, Sandeman (NSR1092)

Participant

917 2017 SERIES DIBS LIST

2017_NSR-917-Dibs-2

Participant

I will be running the new NSR Porsche 917 #3 Daytona 24 Hours 1970 Austria

Viewing 29 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

BarkingSpyder

At 4-years old in Pensacola I repaired my steering linkage on my Ford Pedal-car. Dad later converted this car to a Blue Angel with ailerons and elevators with a working "stick/yoke"; the rudder was controlled by the steering wheel. I like all motorsports - I grew up going to a NASCAR Feeder track with Sportsman and Modified classes, and was lucky to attend drag races in 1970 at Orange County Raceway. My first solder-iron was a Christmas gift at 9yo; I modified T-Jets to be AFX spec before AFX Cars were in local stores. I rebuilt a few tractor & car (SIMCA) engines plus transmissions by 15yo (I still have my ring-compressor and valve spring tool) I am a former mountain and road bike geek & perennial sound engineer. Struggling guitar hobbyist and Amp "tweeker"